Re: [NAFEX] hardy citrus

At 10:54 PM 04/30/2002 -0500, Donna wrote:
>The juice is harsh tasting, but okay if treated like
>lemon or lime juice.  The peel gum will permanently adhere to your juicer,
>though I suspect that acetone would remove it, as I hear it will  remove the
>gum that appears when you make wine from American elderberries.   The
>trouble with trifoliate crosses to sweet orange is that the bitter gum is
>dispersed into the fruit.
I'll testify to the persistence of the gum.  I supply P.trifoliata seeds,
from time to time, to a guy who runs an ornamental plants nursery in
Cincinnati.  Last year, it was pretty late before he placed his request.  I
collected a gallon or so of frozen/thawed/partially decomposed fruits in a
plastic grocery bag and pitched 'em into the back of the truck for a week
or two before I got around to trying to extract & clean the seeds.  They
were a mushy mess, so I just squeezed 'em in my hands to remove the seeds &
did several rinses to remove any remaining pulp/rind.  My hands, as well as
the plastic bucket I was working in, were coated with that sticky gum.  I
liked to have never gotten it all off of my hands, but I didn't think about
borrowing any nail polish remover from my daughter.

>Some grapefruit and tangerine crosses seemed to
>have less of the problem.
>     As for using the fruit, I heard that some company a few years ago was
>drying them, seeds and all, then grinding to produce a flea killing or
>repellent powder.  Yumm!!   (Actually it's the oils that would kill the
>fleas, the fruit aren't THAT toxic.))    Donna

>File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary
>files, plain text ONLY!
>Message archives are here:
>To view your user options go to:
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX is