[NAFEX] tree tags

Well, I purchased 1/4" (now wish I'd got the 1/8") stamping set.  I had some scrap aluminum siding, but I found that it difficult to get a deep enough impression for me to be happy with it.  I think the siding may be too heavy a gauge.  I had a piece of scrap plastic that had been the rib for a baby carseat shade.  It did make a fairly nice tag.  The plastic is heavy gauge enough (1/4"?) that I don't think the brittleness problem w/ plastic will be an issue.

Mike, if you're considering a hand stamping kit, since you live so close, you're welcome to borrow mine and see if you like it. BTW, the only place I could find a stamping kit was online at Harbor Freight Tools.

One other thought I had - I don't think that hand machines to make buttons (the ones that people clip on their clothes that say things like "Kiss me, I'm Irish" ) are all that expensive. I wonder if one of those buttons would hold up fairly well in the weather.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
<
I'm looking for a tagging system that will hold up for at least several
years.  I've tried the plastic self looping ones but the permanent ink
isn't, I've tried the 1" x 3" metal (aluminum?) tags with wires but they
break off after a year of wind and weather, and I've tried home made tin
can tops with a heavier gauge wire.  The latter has been the most
satisfactory but not being an artist the lettering is less than
satisfactory.  What I envison is an army dog tag but the prices I've
gotten for this type of product exceeds $2 or $3 each.  Any ideas or is
there enough demand among NAFEX for a service bureau to be established.
 If there was enought demand I might be interested in doing this in my
free time. Unfortunately the equipment for this type of system is in the
thousands of dollars.
Mike Tomlinson