catnip for mosquito repelllent

The item below may interest some  in the West Nile area east  of the
Mississippi, organic catnip probably has more repellent because it is
richer in phytoelexins.
http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-dsphar2831031aug20.story
THE PEOPLE'S PHARMACY

A Home-Grown Mosquito Repellent - Catnip Leaves
Joseph & Teresa Graedan
Joseph Graedon is a pharmacologist. Teresa Graedon has a doctorate in
medical anthropology and is a nutrition expert

August 20, 2002

Q. Someone recently inquired about mosquito repellent for a trip to
Alaska. I can't remember where I read that catnip proved better as a
mosquito repellent than DEET.

I put this to the test last week while weeding until dark on four
evenings. I didn't get bit once. Usually when I'm out after dusk, I get
eaten alive, and each bite is the size of a quarter.

We grow catnip for various cats, the neighbors' and ours. I wore long
sleeves and pants, and rubbed five or six catnip leaves on my exposed
skin and over my clothing, then gave the leaves to the cat waiting for
catnip.

I hope this helps someone else.

A. Scientists at Iowa State University have been studying catnip and
have found that one of its ingredients, nepetalactone, appears to repel
mosquitoes more effectively than DEET.

They have not done "gold- standard" experiments, however, which require
volunteers to stick their treated arms in cages full of hungry
mosquitoes. Nepetalactone has been used as an arthritis rub, but it is
not yet available commercially for use as a repellent. Consequently, it
would not be very practical for travel.

For those like you who grow catnip in the yard, however, it might be a
reasonable option.

.