can clones be certified organic?

It seems to be assumed that clones cannot hurt because they are not natural. Clones, like all of us suffer pain but clones presently suffer more than we should allow.
the independent
Clones can suffer, too

Our revelation today that milk and meat from cloned animals and their offspring may soon be on the market should cause farmers and ministers to stop and think where they are taking agriculture and food. The public's rejection of GM produce, and its enthusiasm for organic food, has shown clearly that it does not want such a hi- tech future. But ministers – despite their protestations that they want more environmentally friendly agriculture – continue to be blinded by science, and to acquiesce in the drive towards the ultimate in factory farming.

The concern is not so much about health risks from cloning, but about the suffering it causes animals, the clones and their surrogate mothers. Scandalously, despite the importance people attach to animal welfare, it is not taken into account in the legislation and controls that would be applied to cloned produce.

The number of cloned animals at present is small. To mass-produce them may never be economic. But we cannot rely on that. Now is the time to get the controls in place, to insist that if the science causes suffering it should not be allowed. There are few benefits; as an expensive technology it will produce expensive food for wealthy consumers, not help to feed the world. The Government has neglected to consider this issue properly, let alone draw up regulations. It should do so urgently, before another step is taken towards bringing on the clones.

.