Re: high nitrogen fertilization required for Bt toxin production

Dale,
I think that it is wise to deal with the full publication, your comments
might have been reasonable had you not personalized them and improperly
suggested that the publication had found no serious reduction. It seems
like a cheap lawyers slight of hand , to pretend that significant
findings are ,in fact, advertisement for sale of your corporations
products. Pretending authority and denigrating an honest effort to let
the organic community know about the defects in corporation products is
about what one learns to expect, but not to enjoy. We are not your
corporation's serfs. Joe

Dale Wilson wrote:
Joe,

I cannot imagine what has prompted you to engage in such vile and
offensive denigration of comments based on a publication...
...there is no way in the world that you can presume
superiority over me...

I don't think David was attacking you, just complaining about the
equivocating language in the abstract.

Joe's original comments:

The paper below shows that low nitrogen in soil prevents Bt toxin
production and insect resistance.

That isn't what the abstract said.

(from abstract):

"Bt {delta}-endotoxin concentrations were 350, 367, 486, and 534 µg
kg-1 at N fertility levels of 0, 112, 224, and 336 kg ha-1,
respectively. Increased available N likely increases Bt
{delta}-endotoxin–synthesizing proteins and thus increases the Bt
{delta}-endotoxin concentration.
The response of the two Bt hybrids to increased N fertility was
similar. Adequate levels of N fertility during early growth appear
essential for Bt {delta}-endotoxin production by the plant and may
affect the ability of maize plants to resist insect predation."

Even at zero added nitrogen (out of the ballpark for any kind of corn
production) toxin production was 350 ug/kg.  I don't have the
literature in hand, but I believe this is plenty to effect control of
ECB.  I looked at many Bt corn fields with the original Ciba Bt
construct (Maximizer), which really does have some weaknesses compared
to Bt-11 and newer constructs.  Control was always overwhelmingly
effective.  It is hard to imagine that reducing toxin concentration a
few percent could make any practical difference.

Dale