terminator seed death by human or dog gene

December 18, 2003

“An overlooked terminator :seed death by dog or human transgenes”

A great deal has been discussed about “terminator” genes that limit seed
production in patented transgenic crops. Most of that discussion has
focused on the USDA –Delta and Pineland patent of more current
exploratory systems. The discussion, of which I am aware, has ignored
the terminator system developed in France by Groupe Limagrain a
collection of biotechnology research and development companies.

The terminator system developed and field tested in France consists of a
human gene destroying the seeds carbohydrate reserve or a dog gene
eliminating lipid seed reserve. The system has been tested in maize, oil
rapeseed (canola) and tobacco in France. The system causes the energy
reserves in the seeds to be destroyed when the seed lands on the soil.
The harvested seed is treated to prevent the energy reserve system from
acting. Patent WO09952344 describes the terminator system but appears to
leave the system for inactivating the enzymes that eliminate the energy
reserves in the harvested seed out of the patent report.

As I understand the system pollen that escapes from the fields of GM
corn or GM oil rapeseed is capable of pollinating neighboring fields of
maize or oilseed rape but the pollinated crops will produce seed that
withers.

I have wondered why the Limagrain terminator and its field tests have
not been discussed extensively among EU countries. Eating food with
human or dog genes may not seem peculiar in EU? Pollen that attacks and
destroy neighbors crops may only means that “survival of the patented"
is the law of the biotech jungle?

I would appreciate any help in uncovering the system for inactivating
the enzymes that deplete energy reserves in the terminator crops and any
understanding of why Europe sleeps while the system is tested?
Sincerely, joe cummins