Re: [SANET-MG] the EPA household pesticide studies

Replying to Michael Elvin,
I am enclosing information below on the conduct of research on children.
It is clear from the onset that  EPA bankrolled by pesticide company
money. One of the key features of research on humans is that there
should not be coercion or for that matter bribery. Poor people will
certainly go for the clothes, money and camcorder and may even  keep
records. Even middle class families may go for the goodies. It seems
likely that they will be grateful to the companies and to the goofs from
EPA who have been dragged into unseemly research. Human  research is a
serious matter requiring dignity and professionalism, EPA is appearing
to do public relations for the chemical  companies.
The kind of thing that EPA doing  is a slippery slope!  I hope that
sanity will prevail and EPA will step back from the abyss. sincerely,
joe cummins

http://www.fetalneonatal.com/cgi/content/extract/82/2/177
(1) Research involving children is important for the benefit of all
children and should be supported, encouraged and conducted in an ethical
manner
(2) Children are not small adults; they have an additional, unique set
of interests
(3) Research should only be done on children if comparable research on
adults could not answer the same question
(4) A research procedure which is not intended directly to benefit the
child subject is not necessarily either unethical or illegal
(5) All proposals involving medical research on children should be
submitted to a research ethics committee
(6) Legally valid consent should be obtained from the child, parent or
guardian as appropriate. When parental consent is obtained, the
agreement of school age children who take part in research should also
be requested by researchers

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/not98-024.html
Principal Investigators

Principal investigators should assess the scientific rationale for
inclusion of
children in the context of the topic of the study.  Questions that should be
considered in developing a study involving human subjects may include,
but are
not limited to, the following:  When is the exclusion of children
appropriate?
Under what circumstances is it appropriate?  At what ages is it
appropriate?  The
principal investigator should address the policy in the application,
providing
the required information on participation of children in research
projects, and
required justifications for any exceptions allowed under the policy in the
research plan under a section titled "Participation of Children".

Michael Elvin wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the most basic parameter of the study that
participating families use pesticides and other household poisons in exactly the
same way they would if they had never been contacted? But that they monitor
their use of these substances and evaluate their own children's exposure, if
any?

I don't see how that would be worse than just not contacting them in the
first place. One thing we all know is that these families are more likely to
reduce their pesticide use than they would be to increase it. No one is feeding the
babies poison here.

I would think the main effect participation might have on the families
themselves would be to raise awareness.  And that would be a good thing-- no?

Question: What would be a better way of designing this kind of study, so that
usable results could still be gained from it?

Question two: Do we think there is a need to have some study of exposure, or
should we just continue with the unexamined assumption that any exposure of
any kind must be "bad". Is there a need for a bit of science here?

I'm curious as to everyone's ideas on the subject.

M. Elvin

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
For more information on grants and other resources available through the SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.