Re: [SANET-MG] there's gold in them thar spuds

Hi Dale ,
I think you presume too much and impute too often. I wish that you would
follow your own design for discussion.
Having said, that I  was simply pointing out  that beta carotene
(vitamin A precursor) and vitamin D are associated with  birth defects .
Of these vitamin A is most  clearly associated with birth defects in humans.
I have repeatedly circulated those studies showing that beta carotene
ingestion has caused  vitamin A poisoning in humans. However, consuming
supplements and at the same time beta carotene rich veggies like pumpkin
is probably unwise for women of child bearing age and that advise has
been given by others..
I find your use of authoritative claims in the face of well documented
publications  not atypical of the public relations approach to
promoting  gm crops generally and  the "golden" rice and now "golden"
potatoes. In the instance of the golden potatoes phytoene a precursor
of  beta carotene and vitamin A, the authors expressed the fact that
there was no way ,at present, to tell  as to how much  beta carotene
would be produced in the potatoes in the field. Many public health
advisors have warned pregnant women of consuming vitamin A supplements
and to be careful of excess beta carotene.
If  over enthusiastic developers release patented crops that cause birth
defects in humans they will be liable for the damage I believe.
My dear Dale, I  am sure you were a whizz bang technician at Pioneer,
but to be an authority you seem to need to look at the literature of
science studies, please take that criticism to heart. sincerely,joe

Dale Wilson wrote:

Joe,

The problem with beta carotene and vitamin D is that if it is too
low it is just public relations as in golden rice, if it is too
high you face human birth defects...

We are not talking about vitamin D, but vitamin A and the various
carotenoids.  And it is not correct to equate Vitamin A with
B-carotene, the principle dietary source of vitamin A activity from
plants.  It is B-carotene that was engineered into golden rice (and I
suspect golden potatoes).  Birth defects have resulted from high-dose
administration of Vitamin A (retinol) but not from ingestion of large
amounts of carotenoids from plants.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/searching/Expand?pub=infobike://cabi/pns/1999/00000058/00000002/art00033

Many of our favorite foods are jam-packed with B-carotene, since
carotenoids are accessory pigments in leaves.  The carotenoid levels in
many common vegetables are higher than anything you could engineer into
rice or solanum potatoes.
http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/3/506S

The incidence of vit A birth defects was very significant until
pregnant women were advised to avoid vit A supplements...

Some people take very high levels of all sorts of vitamins in the form
of pills, on the mistaken belief that if a little is good, a lot is
better.  Extrapolating risk from that dangerous practice to modest
amounts of pro-vitamins in plants is absurd and misleading.

...and to watch their diet for excessive beta carotene. Too little
vitamin A may also cause birth defects so the analogy to goldylocks
porridge may be good.

The amounts of carotenoids that people eat varies tremendously around
the world, yet the body tightly regulates plasma retinol level (unless
you don't eat enough).  There is no need to try and regulate this by
adjusting ones diet.  Far better to simply eat a whole lot of
vegetables.  And the modest amount of B-carotene (less than what is in
carrots) contributed by golden rice or golden potatoes, can only do
good for the millions of people who are deficient in Vitamin A.

Dale

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
For more information on grants and other resources available through the SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.