[SANET-MG] GM crops gone feral

Prof. Jonathan Gressel and I were graduate students at the same time
(around 1960) at the University of Wisconsin.Jon sent me an e-mail (see
below)on his book on GM crops and the risk that they will grow feral (go
wild).Monoculture has arrived, in my opinion, in contrast to the thrust
of the book mono culture has two aspects. The problem of feral weeds as
is being found in Canadian canola and the much greater danger of mono
morphism (genetic uniformity) which is well known to spawn deadly
disease plagues because there is no reservoir of polymorphisms (genetic
diversity). Nevertheless, Jon's book will be useful and may educate some
 backward regulators. However, the cost of the book is $135 US meaning
that I will have to wait for the paper back edition or the movie to
appear. sincerely,joe
Dear Colleague,

Questions had been asked about whether the transgenic era would lead to more
monoculture in agriculture, with the concomitant possibility that volunteer
weeds coming from the crop would have the ability/time to de-domesticate to
feral, weedier forms.  Unlike in animal systems, where much is known about
de-domestication, very little is known about the propensity of plants to
evolve feral forms, and little has been published in an organized form,
especially on "endo-ferality", where the crop de-domesticates by back
mutation of its own genes, vs. "exo-ferality", where de-domestication is
facilitated by gene flow from wild or weedy relatives
.
Thus, a group gathered for a week in Bellagio to discuss these issues, with
an outcome being a peer-reviewed book, which will be out in a few weeks. One
of the most interesting aspects to me was the vast diversity in methods that
have plants have used to de-domesticate to feral forms.  The Table of
Contents appears below, to give you an idea of the scope of issues covered.

Should you or your library be interested, a form is attached that will give
you a 20% discount on the book.

Best regards,

Jonny Gressel

Crop Ferality and Volunteerism
Jonathan  Gressel, ed.
CRC Press ­ April,  2005

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction ‹ The Challenges of Ferality
1
Jonathan Gressel
Chapter 2 Crops Come from Wild Plants ‹ How Domestication, Transgenes, and
Linkage Together Shape Ferality
9
Suzanne I. Warwick and C. Neal Stewart, Jr.
Chapter 3 The Ecology and Detection of Plant Ferality in the Historic
Records   31
Klaus Ammann, Yolande Jacot, and Pia Rufener Al Mazyad
Chapter 4 Feral Beets ‹ With Help from the Maritime Wild?
45
Ulrich Sukopp, Matthias Pohl, Sarah Driessen, and Detlef Bartsch
Chapter 5 Volunteer Oilseed Rape; Will Herbicide-Resistance Traits Assist
Ferality? 59
Linda M. Hall, M. Habibur Rahman, Robert H. Gulden, and A. Gordon Thomas
Chapter 6 Incestuous Relations of Foxtail Millet (Setaria italica) with Its
Parents and Cousins
81
Henri Darmency
Chapter 7 Urban Ornamentals Escaped from Cultivation
97
Ingo Kowarik
Chapter 8 Sorghum and Its Weedy Hybrids
123
Gebisa Ejeta and Cécile Grenier
Chapter 9 Multidirectional Gene Flow among Wild, Weedy, and Cultivated
Soybeans 137
Bao-Rong Lu
Chapter 10 Maize and Soybeans ‹ Controllable Volunteerism without Ferality?
149
Micheal D.K. Owen
Chapter 11Wheat Domestication and Dedomestication ‹ What Are the Odds?
167
Sharon Ayal and Avraham A. Levy
Chapter 12 Feral Rye ‹ Evolutionary Origins of a Weed
175
Jutta C. Burger and Norman C. Ellstrand
Chapter 13 Can Feral Radishes Become Weeds?
193
Allison A. Snow and Lesley G. Campbell
Chapter 14 Ferality; Risks of Gene Flow between Sunflower and Other
Helianthus spp 209
André Bervillé, Marie-Hélène Muller, Bernard Poinso, and Hervé Serieys
Chapter 15 Issues of Ferality or Potential for Ferality in Oats, Olives, the
Vigna Group,
Ryegrass Species, Safflower, and Sugarcane
231
André Bervillé, Catherine Breton, Ken Cunliffe, Henri Darmency, Allen G.
Good,
Jonathan Gressel, Linda M. Hall, Marc A. McPherson, Frédéric Médail,
Christian Pinatel, Duncan A. Vaughan, and Suzanne I. Warwick
Chapter 16 Asian Rice and Weedy Rice ‹ Evolutionary Perspectives
257
Duncan A. Vaughan, Paulino L. Sanchez, Jun Ushiki, Akito Kaga, and Norihiko
Tomooka
Chapter 17 The Damage by Weedy Rice ‹ Can Feral Rice Remain
Undetected?....279
Bernal E. Valverde
Chapter 18 Properties of Rice Growing in Abandoned Paddies in Sri Lanka  295
Buddhi Marambe
Chapter 19 Coexistence of Weedy Rice and Rice in Tropical America ‹ Gene
Flow and
Genetic Diversity
305
Zaida Lentini and Ana Mercedes Espinoza
Chapter 20 Gene Movement between Rice (Oryza sativa) and Weedy Rice (Oryza
sativa) ‹a U.S. Temperate Rice Perspective
323
David R. Gealy
Chapter 21 Modeling Population Dynamics to Overcome Feral Rice in Rice
355
Francesco Vidotto and Aldo Ferrero
Chapter 22 Molecular Containment and Mitigation of Genes within Crops ‹
Prevention of Gene Establishment in Volunteer Offspring and Feral Strains
371
Jonathan Gressel and Hani Al-Ahmad
Chapter 23 Assessing the Environmental Risks of Transgenic Volunteer Weeds
389
Alan Raybould
Chapter 24 Regulation Should Be Based on Data, Not Just Models
403
Richard Roush
Chapter 25 Epilogue
411
Ervin Balázs
.

Prof. Jonathan Gressel
Plant Sciences
Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot, Israel
Phone: +972-8-934-3481   Fax: +972-8-934-4181  Home: +972-8-941-5604
Email:  jonathan.gressel@weizmann.ac.il
Skype: Hicapil