[SANET-MG] UK backs GM crops

UK like USA claims to be a democracy but in GM foods turns is back on what most people want and gives in to the demands of wealthy corporations.Paraphrasing Marie Antoinette, let them eat GM cake!
BBC NEWS
UK backs end to bans on GM crops
The UK is backing plans which could make it more likely that genetically modified crops are grown across Europe.

Ministers say they will vote for a European Commission proposal to overturn blanket bans of GM crops in five EU countries.

France, Germany, Greece, Luxembourg and Austria all have bans on certain GM types. The UK says the crops should be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Environment Minister Elliot Morley said the UK was acting on scientific advice.

He told BBC Radio 4's Farming Today: "We'll vote on the basis of the scientific advice that we've received.

"And they are all saying that as there has been no new evidence brought forward to defend the argument for a blanket ban, there is no reason not to support the commission."

Opinion gap?

Mr Morley acknowledged there was widespread public opposition to GM crops which could not be ignored.

"But on the other hand we cannot deviate from the scientific advice because otherwise we do leave ourselves open to pressure from commercial companies, for example, and we are not going to bow to that," he said.

The vote will be held at the council of European environment ministers on Friday.

The Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs says it does not expect GM crops to be grown commercially in the UK until at least 2008.

It says each crop should be examined individually rather than using blanket approvals or blanket bans.

Emily Diamond, from Friends of the Earth, said the UK was looking increasingly isolated in Europe with its pro-GM voting record.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/4618547.stm

Published: 2005/06/24 10:53:05 GMT