Re: [SANET-MG] The Slow Dearth of "Organic"

Hi Dale,
Your comment"The prevailing opinion is that transgenic pollen is not a negativeexternality. I understand where you and Joe are coming from, but youneed to understand where the society-at-large is at on this issue".Dale Wilson wrote: There is no question at all that the public in general wants organic to be free of contamination. Your view that transgenic pollen is either a benefit or it does not detract from the value of the crop is not one that the public will swallow . The main point is that a few bureaucrats, politicians and corporate public relations people like to maintain the fiction that the public should not be informed about what is in their food, they should just be slopped like hogs. The reality is that people think and are willing to pay the premiums for pure organic food that "elite" have craved for the synthetic approximations of real food. The "elite" have gone too far in demanding that organic farmers must pay for the genetic pollution of the their food. sincerely,joe

Hi Alan,

From the press release:
"We live in the real world. The lower we go (on a  threshold),
the more expensive it will be for organic producers. We have
to find the right balance," she said.

Dale wrote:
This is a wise  strategic adjustment given the legal
realities.  And biologically  speaking, the previous limit
was not zero.  I believe it was  0.1%.  It seems to me that
the difference between 0.1 and 0.9 is not  all that large.
But 0.9 is much easier to achieve in  practice.

Alan wrote:
This is the tail wagging the dog. The ends are used to justify
the means. Until there are metrics that can be applied to
quantify organic food quality and attributes, we will continue
to have silly discussions like this.

It is not a silly discussion because small changes in the stringency of
organic production standards could allow organic farmers to either make
a go of it, or put them out of business.

Let us be pragmatic about this.  Is it really biologically plausible
that changing the standard from 0.1% to 0.9% for contamination by
transgenic pollen is going to have an impact on health?  Remember,
nobody is arguing for a standard of zero.

It IS apparent biologically that a standard of 0.1% is too low in
practical terms.  This is not an angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin issue.  If
you want to have organic grain available for a reasonable price, a 0.1%
contamination threshold is too low, at least for maize.
I find it outrageous that negative externalities from one
industry or group are foisted on others with complete
disregard for their interests.

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html.
Questions? Visit http://www.sare.org/about/sanetFAQ.htm.
For more information on grants and other resources available through the SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.