Re: [SANET-MG] Biofuels vs MPG efficiency

Hi Neal,
I circulated a provocative article even though I am not currently involved in the issue. Ten years ago I was very active in the area of biofuels, particularly ethanol. However, I found the politics of dealing with slow progress in the face of powerful oil and natural gas lobbies, to be such a major frustration that I stepped back from active involvement.I am happy to see how others have taken up major steps but are still frustrated by the politicians Nevertheless, I am now strong on quantum dots, period. Thank you for the criticism and hope you are not injured by the articles strong views. sincerely,joe
Neal Van Milligen wrote:

Joe, if you want to promote better fuel consumption in USA automobiles why don't you just say so? The report you posted on biofuels goes a long way down a bad road to make that recommendation. .

We think that the concept of improving MPG is a good one, even if we do not support a federal mandate to require it. Here is the web page for the 2004 IMSTEA Super Mileage Challenge. You will note that in the Stock class South Spencer County Indiana High School achieved 1525.62 MPG. This is the car my team associates assisted in the design and construction.

_http://www.doe.state.in.us/octe/technologyed/SuperMileageChallenge.html_ (http://www.doe.state.in.us/octe/technologyed/SuperMileageChallenge.html) Keep in mind that many of the schools participating in this contest built high tech versions of the Klondike Derby cars some of us built in grade school. Other schools built road worthy and licensable automobiles such as ours.

The project rules dictated the engine we would use and test conditions. We achieved over 2400 MPG last year and have little doubt we could exceed that. The test car cost about $40,000 to build. We could make it street legal as an urban commuter with no trouble at all. If we added a heater, windshield wipers, a padded seat, etc., we would be on the way with a production model. Think what this unit would mean in Los Angeles, New York, Rome, Mexico City, Tokyo and across China and Africa. From Cincinnati to Chicago on a tea cup of gasoline (ethanol) even traveling in traffic at normal speeds. Plus it is one of the fastest cars on the street off the line even though top end is only about 85 mph.

As I have said before, many things can be done.

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc.
_www.kentuckenrichment.com_ (http://www.kentuckenrichment.com) _cavm@aol.com_ (mailto:cavm@aol.com)

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html.