Re: strange brew

It sounds like a nature farming recipe.  These include all kinds
of on-farm biofertilizers and fermented extracts, made from
local biomass sources and biological conversion processes.

The red tinge may be a type of photosynthetic bacteria.

EM (Effective Microorganism), one of the nature farming
microbial tools, has these purple photosynthetic Rhodobacters,
and an EM-treated hog-lagoon turned red is a sign of bioconversion.

See:

Enrichment & Isolation of Purple Non-Sulfur Photosynthetic Bacteria
http://www.splammo.net/bact102/102pnsb.html

Sudden Popularity of Soil Based Organisms (SBOs) as Probiotics
In:
http://www.antioxbrew.com/

What other details and background can you share, Elijah?

Regards,

Steve Diver
ATTRA

elijah smith wrote:

I need help identifying what sort of anaerobic bacteria we've grown.  Someone gave us a recipe for a sort of tea which is supposed to "increase the amount of sunlight absorbed" when applied as a foliar spray.  The recipe goes like this:

soak a pile of fish scales in water.  Strain the water through red cinder (we have a lot of this in Hawaii...).  Let the water sit in a full sealed glass jar in the sun.

Well, we did it, and the glass jar sat and say for months and then all of a sudden turned bright red - which was what was supposed to happen... we can make more of it by just putting mixing it with clean water and adding it to more jars; each in turn will turn red after a bit.

But what is it?  Anyone ever heard of this stuff?  Does it really increase sunlight absorption?  I though maybe 'cuz it was so red, it might somehow let the plant intake a different part of the spectrum - but I'm no scientist, I'm just guessing.

Thanks!
    Elijah