[compost_tea] compost tea additives and NOSB

NOSB CTTF defines compost tea additives as "Materials other than
water and compost added at the start of the compost tea making
process to increase microbial biomasss/populations."

Now, if I read this correctly, then kelp, rock powders, fish,
humates, molasses, sugar, juice, oat flour, crab shell, ......THESE
ARE ALL ADDITIVES INTENDED TO INCREASE MICROBIAL BIOMASS!

Therefore, if you use these things you will be subject to pre-testing
to verify that your tea does not contain pathogens.  Two tests are
required and the average result is used to "prove" your process is
clean.  IF YOU CHANGE YOUR RECIPE (or your brew time, or your air
input, or your start temp, or your water supply) YOU WILL NEED TO
ORDER UP ANOTHER SET OF TESTS.

Of course, if you choose to abide by the 90/120 day pre-harvest
interval restrictions (in other words if you apply CT no sooner than
90 pre-harvest for produce not in direct contact with the soil and
120 days for produce in contact with the soil), then of course you
are all set.  I'm not sure which interval (90 or 120?) I will be
forced to use for my apples, but if I am limited to using a foliar
ACT before May 15 (120 interval) or June 15 (90 day  interval) it
doesn't matter!  THE BOTTOM LINE IS I'VE JUST LOST A TOOL I COULD USE
TO OUT-COMPETE APPLE SCAB, SOOTY BLOTCH, FLYSPECK, FIREBLIGHT, BLACK
KNOT, ETC. ETC.!  (UNLESS, OF COURSE, I BREW MY TEA WITH ONLY COMPOST
AND WATER!)

Is anyone enlivening their compost with oat flour?  My bet is that
this practice will cause concern because your compost is no
longer "finished" according to standards and/or the material will be
considered a "compost tea additive."

I've been making vermi- and thermal composts for tea brewing without
the use of manure feedstocks so I could avoid the pre-harvest
interval headaches.  The CTTF is recommending that CT should be made
with "compliant compost or vermicompost, using the NOSB guidelines
set forth on April 18, 2002"  CAN ANYONE POINT ME TO THE GUIDELINES
FOR VERMICOMPOST?  DOES IT NEED TO GO THROUGH THE THREE-DAY HEATING
PROCESS?  OH, BY THE WAY, IF YOU'VE BEEN MAKING YOUR VERMI- OR
THERMAL COMPOST WITHOUT MANURE TO AVOID THE PRE-HARVEST INTERVAL THE
CTTF IS NOW RECOMMENDING THAT EVEN COMPOST MADE FROM 100% PLANT
FEEDSTOCK MATERIALS IS TO BE CONSIDERED THE SAME AS OTHER COMPOSTS
(WHEN MAKING COMPOST TEA) BECAUSE "NON-MANURE COMPOST FEEDSTOCKS MAY
HARBOR HIGH LEVELS OF FECAL BACTERIA."

Folks, if these receommendations are accepted, I believe Compost Tea
will become an excellent tool for the corporate organic growers who
can afford the cost associated with testing and re-testing and
recordkeeping.  It may be that, again, the big guys get to reap the
rewards of the long fight to creat organic standards while the rest
of us local growers interested in food integrity and security move
on.  Organic ain't what it used to be.  I know these are just
recommendations but I am inching closer to the ledge.  Can somebody
talk me down?

Yahoo! Groups Links