Re: [SANET-MG] [Spam?] Re: [SANET-MG] BBC NEWS | UK | England | Tyne/Wear | Researchers hail organic potatoes

Hi Sals and others interested in Pisolithus Tinctorius.The comments on the fungus for Phytopthora control were very interesting. I found that fungus is an Ectomycorrhizal Fungus, one that inhabits the roots of plants as a symbiont. The fruiting structure of the fungus has given the fungus the name "dog turd" because of its appearance not smell. A good deal of work is published on controlling Phytopthora in Eucalyptus but not much on potato. I am not sure why the potato is underrepresented in use of Pisolithus Tinctorius, potato. Of course finding the fruiting bodies of the fungus on the store produce display might be one reason the fungus is shunned but another reason may be the fact that the fungus is very allergenic. I have enclosed a couple of abstracts below. Sincerely, joe cummins
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/jun2003.html
Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month for June 2003

This month's fungus is Pisolithus tinctorius, the "dog turd" fungus, also known in more polite company as the dyemaker's puffball. This fungus is not growing directly on the feces, but is mycorrhizal with the roots of nearby trees. i.e. it forms a mutualistic association with the roots of trees. I am guessing there are oaks or conifers like pine or spruce nearby. I am guessing that the wolf feces are providing some extra nutrients to the fungus and allowing it to fruit in that area. The added water from the runoff is also making the fungus fruit in that area.

Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 1997 Sep-Oct;39(5):245-52.Links
Evaluation of the allergenicity of spore and mycelia extracts of Pisolithus tinctorius. Chavasco JK, Gambale W, de Siqueira AM, Fiorini JE, Portocarrero MC, Mendes Júnior LG, do Nascimento LC.

   Escola de Farmácia e Odontologia de Alfenas (EFOA), Brazil.

The antigenic and allergenic chemical analysis of spore and mycelia extracts of Pisolithus tinctorius was carried out. The spores were collected from basidiocarps in plantations of Eucalyptus spp and the mycelia from culture in MNM medium. With basis on the fungus growth curve, the mycelia masses were obtained after 10, 20, 30, and 40 days of incubation, which correspond, respectively, to the beginning, middle and end of the log phase, and beginning of the decline phase. The mycelia masses, together with the spores, were submitted to the action of three extractors (Coca, Tris-HCl, and ammonium bicarbonate). The contents of carbohydrates and proteins were determined. The SDS-PAGE electrophoretical analysis revealed separate fractions in these extracts, besides common fractions, in function of cultivation time and extraction methods. The selected extracts for the allergic tests were the ones with the highest number of fractions. The prick-tests were conducted in 374 patients--rural workers, eucalyptus plantation workers, and college students. The positivity to the "prick test" with the antigenic extract of P. tinctorius was, respectively, 3.78%, 28.20% and 6.40%. Most prick-test positive patients (82.75%) also presented symptoms of respiratory allergy (asthma and rhinitis). There was no reactivity difference when the spore and mycelia extracts were employed. The analysis of the positive patients' sera revealed the presence of IgE specific to the P. tinctorius antigens. Since Pisolithus tinctorius is found as mycorrhiza of Eucalyptus spp, and this plant is used in reforestation in most countries, the importance of that fungus should be regarded as a possible cause of respiratory allergies, especially in occupationally exposed workers.

   <http://www.nifg.org.uk/ecto.htm>

sals wrote:
Toward biocontrol of Phytophthora using the beneficial fungus
Pisolithus Tinctorius, which produces substances with antibiotic
activity contra Phytophthora, according to sources I found in
Medline (if I recall - I was using Uncover, I believe), a biomedical
database, in 1998. (I don't have the details on this computer).

where do you buy your beneficial fungus and any other life forms your raising when you make the tea what do you feed while brewing. what all goes into the tea?

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html.
Questions? Visit http://www.sare.org/about/sanetFAQ.htm.
For more information on grants and other resources available through the SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.