E.coli

Can someone pls explain why E.coli is considered a pathogen?
Doesn't it exist naturally in our gut? How can it be harmful? Aren't
they in fact an essential part of our gut ecology?

I know that the presence of E.coli is considered an indication of
fecal contamination, because the E.coli in our gut also appear in
human waste. So, a high E.coli count in water means fecal
contamination. But that doesn't make E.coli itself a pathogen, does
it?

Roberto Verzola
Philippines

.