Re: SANET-MG Digest - 15 Nov 2002 to 16 Nov 2002 - Special issue (#2002-60)

In a message dated 11/16/2002 4:12:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, LISTSERV@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU writes:

I'll second the point you made about the need to begin at the
beginning and end at the end. By why split hairs in the middle?

Douglas, I don't mean to split hairs. However, I am concerned that HACCP has sometimes been used to perpetuate poor quality food. I know that you intend to use the concept wisely, but from a consumer point of view, it is difficult to differentiate "good" HACCP from "bad" HACCP. One bone of contention in the food industry is whether HACCP should be extended beyond the walls of the plant. One interpretation of HACCP would involve minimizing the levels of pathogens in the incoming raw materials. Another interpretation would be based on having a kill step that can accommodate any level of pathogens in the incoming raw materials. Theoretically, the pathogen levels in the finished product could be the same. My question is: should consumers prefer to eat food that was made from materials that were grown pathogen free, or should they prefer food rendered "safe" through the use of pathogen reducing technologies such as irradiation? Unless I am wrong, both plants would have legitimate HACCP plans in place and produce pAlan Ismond, P.Eng.
Aqua-Terra Consultants