SFI Feb In-text 2003

The February E-zine is here!

If you want to un-subscribe, please return an e-mail with "un-subscribe" in the subject line.

Please communicate with me any problems or comments or observations you have. I especially like to know about any problems that people have with compost tea, or compost, or getting orgnaisms back into soil. The "detective" work is fun!

So, until next month - enjoy!

Elaine Ingham
President, SFI
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Lismore, Australia
SFI Port Jefferson, NY
SFI Hilversum, The Netherlands
SFI, Cambridge, New Zealand

----------------------
February 2003 SFI E-Zine

Table of Contents

1. SFI Europe Lab Opens in Holland
2. Apples in Mexico
3. Compost Tea Grant 2003 (and how to get data from 2002)
4. Eating Organic Cuts Kids Pesticide Loads
5. NOP, Compost tea, MOFGA and help from Maine
6. New Mycorrhizal Assessment Service
7. United Nations Launches $26 Million Initiative to Identify New Soil
Organisms
8. National Organic Agriculture Standards" satellite broadcast

1. SFI Europe Opens!!!!!

The SFI lab in Hilversum, The Netherlands is now open.

Soil Foodweb Europe b.v.
Noorderweg 66
1221 AB Hilversum
The Netherlands
Tel +31(0)35 6245050 FAX 31(0)35 6422177

soil.foodweb@inter.nl.net

We are working in conjunctions with BLGG, a soil chemistry lab well-known in Europe for excellent service. They had noted that there were no new innovations in soil chemistry in the last 30 years, and wanted to be part of the new wave in understanding and improving soil.

With the opening of SFI Europe, we will be forging ahead on the molecular identification projects we have been working on. With BLGG, we hope to move the molecular ID of nematodes into commercial practice, as well as expand the Beneficial Organic Assay from the partially molecular methods we are using to fully molecular.

Hopefully, within the next year, we will have the E. coli rapid-ID method finally brought down to a reasonable cost and time for growers.

In addition to these projects, we plan on working with folks on the Chroma assay. We have to do the ID of the different bands of the materials in the Chroma tests first, before offering it as a method, so theres some work to do first! We have a few things to be working on, and we welcome help from others in getting these advances off the ground!

For those of you in Europe, the Mid-East and Africa, you now have a lab much closer to you, and far more reasonable shipping costs!

Please welcome the SFI Europe lab, and Karel Eigenraam as the SFI Europe Lab Director, and Jan Paul Koorn as the BLGG link with the SFI Europe lab.

------------------------------
2. Apples in Mexico
From: Alberto Gameros <viverosgameros@prodigy.net.mx>
Dear Dr. Elaine -

Last year we use compost tea in apple orchard in Chihuahua
Mexico, with a home made brewer in 2 orchards

Orchard had old and large tree golden delicious trees with soil
disease problems. Each year, the trees produced cracking fruit,
with many russet and small size. Last year we applied compost tea
2 times in the season at rate of 2 liter per tree, and a soil drench.
In the harvest we pick apples free of russet and cracking and the
apples were medium size instead of small. And the skin very waxy

Orchard two in summer in the rainy season, we applied compost tea
foliar each 8-10 days at rate 30 liter per hectares. Again, we had not
problems with foliar or fruit diseases.
----------------------------

3. THE COMPOST TEA GRANT

For those of you who want to participate, SFI will run your compost, and three teas, and your soil next spring for free, if you are accepted in the program, and you pay for the soil this spring.

We still have space for people interested in working with us on any tea brewer.

Call or e-mail and get your forms from SFI

4. EATING ORGANICS CUTS KIDS PESTICIDE LOADS

January 31, 2003

A University of Washington study analyzed pesticide breakdown products
(metabolites) in pre-school aged children and found that children eating
organic fruits and vegetables had concentrations of pesticide
metabolites six times lower than children eating conventional produce.
The study compared metabolite concentrations of organophosphorus (OP)
pesticides (a class of insecticides that disrupt the nervous system) in
the urine of 39 urban and suburban children aged 2 to 4 years. The
researchers' findings point to a relatively simple way for parents to
reduce their children's chemical loads--serve organic produce.

The authors focused on children's dietary pesticide exposure because
children are at greater risk for two reasons: they eat more food
relative to body mass, and they eat foods higher in pesticide
residues--such as juices, fresh fruits and vegetables. An earlier study
cited by the authors looked at pesticide metabolites in the urine of 96
urban and suburban children and found OP pesticides in the urine of all
children but one. The parents of the child with no pesticide metabolites
reported buying exclusively organic produce.

Researchers recruited children for the study outside of conventional and
organic grocery stores in the Seattle metropolitan region and asked
parents to record all food consumed in a three-day period prior to
collecting their child's urine over the next 24 hours. Based on the food
diaries, the study assigned the children into groups consuming at least
75% organic or at least 75% conventional fruits and vegetables. Parents
were also asked about household pesticide use in their homes and on
gardens, lawns and pets. Although the authors found that parents of
children eating conventional diets were more likely to report some home
pesticide use, they did not find significant differences in
concentrations of pesticide metabolites based on this use.

The children's urine was tested for five metabolites of OP pesticides
which are registered in the U.S. and frequently applied to food crops.
The study focused on these pesticides because they are metabolized into
several easily recognizable compounds. Breakdown products of pesticides
such as malathion, azinphos-methyl, parathion, oxydemeton-methyl,
phosmet, methyl parathion, methidatihon and dimethoate were found at the
highest concentrations. Of these pesticides, azinphos-methyl and phosmet
are the two primarily used on fresh produce within the U.S. Lower
concentrations were found of breakdown products from diazinon and
chlorpyrifos.

The researchers found median concentrations of OP metabolites six times
lower in the children with organic diets. Average concentrations for the
organic group were actually nine times lower, suggesting that some
children eating conventional produce had much higher concentrations of
OP metabolites in their systems.

Because many of the OP pesticides break down into identical metabolites,
the study did not provide information on the specific pesticides
children were exposed to. However, the study did determine that some
children were at risk for consuming more OP pesticides than the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers "safe" as a daily dose.
The researchers concluded that organic fruits and vegetables can reduce
exposure levels from above to below EPA chronic reference doses,
"thereby shifting exposures from a range of uncertain risk to a range of
negligible risk."

These findings confirm what is already known about pesticide residues on
conventional produce. Consumers Union analyzed U.S. Department of
Agriculture residue data for all pesticides for 1999 and 2000 and warned
parents of small children to limit or avoid conventionally grown foods
known to have high residues such as cantaloupes, green beans (canned or
frozen), pears, strawberries, tomatoes (Mexican grown) and winter
squash. The Seattle study, which reflects children's food diaries, adds
apples to that list.

Susan Kegley, staff scientist at Pesticide Action Network states, "We
have been concerned for a long time about continuous exposure to
organochlorine pesticides because they persist in our bodies for years.
This study reveals that we are continuously exposed to OP pesticides,
not because they linger in our bodies, but because we are persistently
being exposed through the food we eat every day."

The study's main conclusion--eating organic fruits and vegetables can
significantly reduce children's pesticide loads--is information that
parents can act on to reduce their children's risk. A secondary
conclusion--that small children may be exceeding "safe" levels of
pesticide exposure--is information that regulators should act on and, at
the very least, reduce uses of these pesticides on food crops.
Related News:

Sources:

Organophosphorus pesticide exposure or urban and suburban pre-school
children with organic and conventional diets, Cynthia L. Curl, Richard
A. Fenske, Kai Elgethun, Environmental Health Perspectives, October 13,
2002, National Institute of Environmental Sciences, EHP Online,
http://www.ehponline.org; Do You Know What You're Eating? February 1999,
Consumers Union of United States, Inc,
http://www.consumersunion.org/food/do_you_know2.htm; Pesticide residues
in conventional, IPM-grown and organic foods: Insights from three U.S.
data sets, Food Additives and Contaminants, May 2002, http://www.consumersunion.org/food/organicsumm.htm

Contact: PANNA
PANUPS is a weekly email news service providing resource guides and
reporting on pesticide issues that don't always get coverage by the
mainstream media. It's produced by Pesticide Action Network North
America, a non-profit and non-governmental organization working to
advance sustainable alternatives to pesticides worldwide.
You can join our efforts! We gladly accept donations for our work and
all contributions are tax deductible in the United States. Visit http://www.panna.org/donate

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
Boulder Belt Organics
-----------------

5. NOP, Compost Tea, MOFGA, and Help from Maine

Eric Goodenough wrote me to ask what was going on with the NOP with respect to compost tea. I told him what I knew about the NOSB decision to make no decision. Eric wrote back to me to say that the Maine Organic Farmers and Growers Association (MOFGA) had come out with regulations that were anti-compost tea.

Eric then wrote the following letter to MOFGA, subject line:

Compost Tea: A lost tool?

Mary,
I'm writing a quick note to voice my concern to you and to MOFGA regarding the use of compost teas. It is my belief that compost teas are an important tool to organic growers seeking an affordable, healthful and potent means of improving the vitality of soils and crops. We are still learning about the potential of compost tea. There are strong opinions on both sides of whether or not compost teas present a potential health threat. However, there does exist good science in support of compost tea use and thousands of growers are claiming success with its use.

Some of us have been concerned about how the NOP would change organic practices, that sustainable reason might get replaced by bureaucratic or political manipulation of approved materials and practices. I believe we are at yet another pivotal junctures where we have a choice about how the USDA organic label will support or hinder the small farmer. Will the decisions made have real impact on the ability of the small farmer to make a decent living by growing organically? Or will influence, regardless of affinity, rule the day? I fear that the compost tea issue is has been clouded with professional reputations to uphold and personal axes to grind. When this happens, farmers lose. I urge MOFGA to consider fairly the merits of using compost teas and if, after having looked at both sides, there is still is an inability to disprove their safe use I suggest the following:

* Listen to other certifiers with growers using compost teas. Are there any proven examples of illness or death resulting from the use of compost teas? Is so, why did they occur? Have growers been successful in their use of compost teas?

* Seek out and consider both sides of the science behind the brewing of compost teas. More is forthcoming. Peer reviewed tests conducted by scientists who have direct (read: hands-on) experience with compost tea brewing should be given balanced consideration (at the very least) with those who claim to know about compost teas but have no practical experience. (Anyone can grow E. coli if they want to, but there are things we do to avoid encouraging pathogens.)

* If the NOP does not specifically mention compost teas, then I suggest no action need be taken.

The actual number of compost tea brewers in Maine is few although word is spreading about its effectiveness in replacing pesticides and fungicides and increasing soil and plant vitality. Compost teas have become a critical piece of Sunnybrook Farm Orchard's organic practices. We would saddened to learn that we could no longer use such a great tool because someone played the "fear card" before the "reason card" was drawn upon.

Eric Goodenough
Sunnybrook Farm Orchard, Inc.
255 Ossipee Hill Road
East Waterboro, ME 04030
207-247-8448 (o) 207-247-8228 (h)
207-247-8333 (f) sfo@gwi.net

Then, I received information that a memo had come out in early January from, apparently, a USDA toxicologist. Owusu Bandele spoke about this in January, saying the NOP had recommended no compost tea use. This is not the case. A memo from a single individual cannot be used to form national policy.

Eric just received a letter from MOFGA, specifically from Mary Yurlina, certification@mofga.org, where they seem to have rescinded their decision on compost tea.

This is the quote from the letter from MOFGA about compost tea:

My understanding is that compost teas made from compost products that were finished according to one of several acceptable methods will be permitted. For 2003 at least, brewed compost tea will be considered a type of compost tea and the same conditions apply.

Eric continued:

While this bodes well for this year, I think brewed compost tea use will continue to be scrutinized for efficacy and safety and its future will remain uncertain until good science prevails.

Thanks,

Eric Goodenough
Sunnybrook Farm Orchard, Inc.
255 Ossipee Hill Road
East Waterboro, ME 04030
207-247-8448 (o) 207-247-8228 (h)
207-247-8333 (f) sfo@gwi.net

So, I hope that gives everyone an understanding that indeed, there are no limitations on using compost tea, as long as the compost is certified. (Read, made properly).

We still need to push the NOP to have a meeting about compost and compost tea regs that are sensible. We need to finish up some further fully-replicated testing on E. coli laden compost, and what happens when we make tea with it. Those data should be forth-coming soon (getting done this week).
6. Mycorrhizal Service now available!

These are good folks to work with, especially when you want VAM spore counts done. When SFI gets overloaded with work, we get Efren to help us.
- ERI

MycoRoots http://www.mycoroots.com

"We want you to get to know your friends belowground"

Our consulting services are directed towards golf course superintendents,
plant growers, farmers, environmental consultants, landscape architects, and
private landowners interested on the benefits and management of mycorrhizal
fungi in their lands.

Efren Cazares mycoroots@attbi.com
7. United Nations Launches $26 Million Initiative to Identify New Soil Organisms

Copied from:

Alternative Agriculture News
Volume 21, Number 1 (January 2003)

Henry A. Wallace Center for Agricultural & Environmental Policy at Winrock International
1621 North Kent Street, Suite 1200
Arlington, VA 22209-2134 USA
Phone: (703) 525-9430, Fax: (703) 525-1744
E-mail: wallacecenter@winrock.org
Website: www.winrock.org/wallace

The United Nations Environment Programme has launched a $26 million,
5-year project to discover new species of soil organisms--"the last
great catalogue of undiscovered life on Earth," according to London's
Independent (November 29, www.independent.co.uk). Biologists will hunt
for and classify soil bacteria, fungi, insects, mites, and worms in
seven countries: Brazil, Mexico, Ivory Coast, Uganda, Kenya, Indonesia,
and India. Scientists increasingly view soil biodiversity as the key to
sustainable agriculture because soil-dwelling species play essential
roles in soil fertility and nutrient cycling to plants, the article
said; the discoveries are expected also to lead to new drugs and
industrial applications. Several media stories on the new UN-led program
cited important gains from prior studies of soil organisms, including
three-fold higher crop yields made possible by introducing soil-mixing
earthworms to degraded tea plantations in India; the use of certain
termite species to improve rock-hard soils in Africa and Australia; and
the use of nitrogen-fixing soil bacteria in place of nitrogen
fertilizers in Brazil, which has saved a billion dollars annually for
the nation's agriculture. A news release from Britain's University of
Exeter, where Professor Jo Anderson heads the project's technical
advisory group, is online at www.ex.ac.uk/newsun.htm.

------------------------------------
8. National Organic Agriculture Standards" satellite broadcast

Andy, Can you assist me by sending the publicity blurb below to
the SARE listserv?

Scott

Washington State University Cooperation Extension and the
Washington State Department of Agriculture are offering a
satellite broadcast focused on the National Organic Agriculture
Standards and the implications they pose for Extension Agents,
state and national certification staff, consultants and others
involved in the production of organic commodities.

The broadcast will present the basic requirements of the USDA's
National Organic Standards, and describe how the new regulations
affect organic producers.

The program will be aired on March 21, from 10 am to noon,
Pacific time and viewers will have an opportunity to have their
questions answered during the broadcast. For program details and
registration information, go to: "http://ext.wsu.edu/noas/";