Re: [SANET-MG] FW: Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship - Philippines

NOW ACCEPTING TROPICAL FARM APPRENTICESHIP FOR 2005=2006.  Visit our
website:
www.herbanafarmsphilippines.com

From: gil carandang <gil_carandang@HOTMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU
Subject: [SANET-MG] FW: Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship -
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:56:12 +0000

From: Twittman@aol.com
To: jdashe@mac.com, pvpiazza@juno.com, glsowtr@igc.org, plowy@hotmail.com,
rose@psyche.mit.edu (Rose Roberts),        yeffa@hotmail.com (Jeffrey
Caspary),        richardslye@yahoo.com (Richard Slye),
tcervinka@hotmail.com (Tanya Cervinka),        jhashley@hotmail.com
(jennifer hashley),        mtnsugarpine@hotmail.com  (aviva maller),
sjgarcia@cats.ucsc.edu (Stephanie Garcia), yamsandyams@hotmail.com,
estrella3210@yahoo.com
Subject: Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship - Philippines
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:51:52 EDT

Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship
Herbana Farms
6  Month Residential Position

Herbana Farms (Philippines), a tropical  diversified organic farm
specializing in the production of culinary and  medicinal herbs, salad
greens, Asian and specialty vegetables, cut flowers,  natural  free-range
chickens and tilapia aquaculture is currently  accepting applications for
our
2004-2005 six-month apprenticeship  on  our newly set-up 10-acre organic
production and demonstration farm.   Our farm focuses on organic
production
for the local farmers market  and CSA (Community Supported Agriculture),
and
serving as a training venue  for organic farmers.  Our sustainable
agriculture practices focus on  Natural Farming technology using
beneficial
indigenous microorganisms,  enzymes and biological nutrients, including
Indigenous Knowledge,  Biodynamics, French Intensive, Agroecology and
Permaculture.

The farm  is located on a 10-acre property with 4-acre dedicated to herb,
vegetable  and flower gardens.  The rest are intended for  production
modules

for natural free-range chickens, tilapia aquaculture and tropical fruit
orchard.  Integrated to the farm is a Life Lab (organic educational
garden
for kids), solar showers, spas and sauna, including the community  farm
center where the kitchen and dining, restrooms, storage room and the
farmâ??s
apprenticesâ?? quarters are located.  In the same area is our
propagation,
greenhouse, hoof house, hardening area and plant nursery.   There are four
separate greenhouses where we grow mainly vegetables as  protected from
the
rains.    Our schedule for this farm  apprenticeship is from November to
April which translates to a cooler to  dry  time of the year.

We are about 30 miles south of Manila.   The farm is located on a slightly
rolling and hilly elevation near the old  sugar central of  Canlubang with
panoramic views of Tagaytay Ridge (a  major Philippine tourist
destination),
the famous Mt. Makiling and Laguna de  Bay, Mt. Malarayat and Maculot of
Batangas province.

As part of the  Apprenticeship program, we encourage apprentices to
participate on  countryside tours and community immersions.  Currently,
we
are  working on community immersion  with indigenous peoples of  the
famous
rice terraces of northern Philippines.  You will have the chance to  spend
some time, living and working with the Ifugaos and Bontocs of the
Mountain
Province.  A local tour, two hours from the farm will bring  the
apprentices
to the island resort of Puerto Galera, Mindoro known for its  23 dive
sites
â??
scuba, snorkeling, including natural trekking and visit of  the Mangyan
(indigenous people) village of the island

Who May  Apply

Prior gardening and farming experience is helpful but not  necessary.
However, a strong desire to learn and keen interest in  hands-on gardening
and farming is essential.  We are looking for  self-motivated,
self-starting
people.  The Apprenticeship will involve  all aspects of organic
production
including propagation and greenhouse work,  watering, bed prep,
composting,
transplanting and sowing, weeding,  harvesting and seed saving and
processing, including related functions in  the care and maintenance of
our
small livestock free-range chickens and  tilapia aquaculture.  Physical
stamina is necessary.

This is a  wonderful opportunity to learn practical skills that will
develop
for the  use for the rest of your life!

Welcome to the tropical organic  agriculture Apprenticehip at Herbana
Farms!

For more information and  application write or e-mail us:

Gil  Carandang
Herbana Farms
Km. 59  Burol, Calamba City
Laguna, Philippines

gil_carandang@hotmail.com

Visit the SANET-MG archives at:
http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
For more information on grants and other resources available through the
SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.