[SANET-MG] Towards biocontrol of phytophthora in pineapple, with mycorrhizae et al

Douglas -

It might help to clarify that pineapple is typically
colonized by VAM mycorrhizae, which is an endo type.
The VAM mycorrhizae colonize about 85% to 95% of all
vascular plants, including grasses, forbes, shrubs,
and trees.

Pisolinthus tinctorius is an ectomycorrhizae.  The
ecto fungi colonize about two to three genera of trees
which make up the vast forest regions of the Northern
Hemisphere as well as several sub-tropical species.
Pisolinthus is commonly used to inoculate pine seedlings
intended for reforestration of disturbed sites.

A few years ago I was corresponding with a pineapple
grower in Central America who had switched to organics.
He was using compost, compost teas, and EM fermentations
to control diseases.   Compost quality makes a big difference.

Nowadays the trend is for growers to obtain microbial
analysis of their soils to understand the biological status,
then adjust according to soil foodweb succession to match
the plant ecological succession.  This is starting point
that has a major effect.  From there you can employ a number
of biological farming practices to activate biological control
mechanisms that suppress diseases.

The literature on biological disease suppression is quite large.
It turns out that organic agriculture uses many practices that
naturally result in biological disease suppression, by virtue
of bioaugmentation with vast populations of microorganisms as
well as by feeding and biostimulating indigenous and introduced
populations of microorganisms.

Compost teas (ACT) and liquid compost extracts (LCE) provide
a broad diversity of microbes, while biological inoculants
and biofertilizers provide selected strains at concentration
numbers.

It takes a lot of background research to compile a summary
of phytophthora and understand it's life cycle and potential
biological control strategies. The California research on use
of mulches and compost to control phytophthora in avocado is
a good example of cross-pollination of concepts and practices
that may apply to pineapple, as well.

Hope this helps,
Steve Diver