Re: BD Now! Re: Re.green manures-cover crops, tropical biointensive

Guillermo -

Here is another book I've used for tropical cover crops. It provides
a summary of a great number of plant species, growth characteristics,
etc.

Tropical Forage Legumes / by P. J. Skerman. 1977. Food and Agriculture
Organization of the United Nations; [New York : sold by UNIPUB]

Thanks for sharing notes about your project. It sounds like
a very dynamic and practical approach you've taken. It is
inspiring to hear you describe the project.

Steve Diver

Guillermo wrote:

Many thanks Steve.   You are always a lighthouse of
Info.  Ill read the references with
interest.  I wish we had something like ATTRA here in
Mx.

Re. Sunn Hemp, I found the USDA Soil Quality,
Technical Note No. 10  and an article from U. Hawaii,
SUNN HEMP TROPIC SUN AS A COVER CROP IN EDIBLE
GINGER PRODUCTION Dwight Sato*, CTAHR-Hilo, Bob Joy,
NRCS-Molokai, Matthew Wung, NRCS-Hilo,, which
concludes (amidst a faulty experimental design IMO) :
Using sun hemp as a cover crop under non-irrigated,
rainfed conditions may not be a suitable sustainable
practice for nematode control in a long term ginger
crop.

A local INIFAP experimental station has done some
research with crotalaria and I could probably get some
seed.  The yields and growth conditions are something
to be considered.  Thanks for bringing it to my
attention "soilculturebiodi".

GRI