[SANET-MG] Economic Growth (and Neoclassical Economics) vs. Sustainability

Hi all,

I am new to the list.  I am a conservation biologist
with the federal government and founding president of
the Center for the Advancement of the Steady State
Economy (CASSE).  My government job (biodiversity
conservation) is an exercise in futility as long as
economic growth (increasing production and onsumption
of goods and services) is the primary domestic policy
goal of the American polity.  Due to the tremendous
breadth of the human niche, the scale of the human
economy expands at the competitive exclusion of
wildlife in the aggregate.

I?ve come to view economic growth as not only the
biggest problem facing biodiversity conservation but as
a major threat to national security and international
stability.  I?ve been writing on this topic since my
Ph.D. research 10 years ago.  I proposed the steady
state revolution in Shoveling Fuel for a Runaway Train:
Errant Economists, Shameful Spenders, and a Plan to
Stop Them All.

I invite you to visit the CASSE website:

Www.steadystate.org

and e-sign the position on economic growth at the
Action page:

http://www.steadystate.org/PositiononEG.html

The reasons for signing the position are provided at
the CASSE website.  No contact information is requested
and no further contact results from e-signing.

I was glad to see the recent exchange on the merits of
mainstream economics for sustainability purposes.  My
thoughts on that are provided in Shoveling Fuel.

Happy holidays,

Brian Czech, President
Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy
Arlington, VA
WWW.STEADYSTATE.ORG

**************

  Steve:

Baloney.  The profession of Economics is a lap-dog.
The powers that be,
political and economic, have co-opted the economics
profession, which is
entirely a captive of market fundamentalism.

Those brave economists who stray too far from
fundamentalism are ignored or
worse.  I'm thinking of Nicolas Georgescu-Roegen,
Herman Daly, and maybe Kenneth
Boulding, from earlier decades.  It is time for
economists to get serious and
admit the limitations of the market model.

Or, maybe something has changed that I don't know about
in the ten years I've
been away.

My two cents.

John Lozier
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
West Virginia University Extension Service
PO Box 6108, Morgantown, WV 26506-6108
Telephone 304-293-6256
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

>>> fordmgmt@EARTHLINK.NET 12/24/04 1:14:58 PM >>>

James,
I can't say what ecologists believe, but your
generalization of
economists' beliefs is absolutely wrong.  Depletion of
resources is of
great concern to economists and there is a huge field
devoted to proper
management of those resources and another to the
measurement of their
value.  You can argue that the measurement of economic
activity based on
GDP ignores natural resource depletion, but there is an
effort to
provide green accounting in that area, also.  As an
aside, The Economist
magazine this week had a piece on Bhutan and how it has
been decreed
there to measure development with GDH (gross domestic
happiness) instead
of GDP.  Economists are well aware of the externalities
of economic
activity, and the problems arising in non-market
valuation of their
worth.

Steve Ford