Re: BD Now! Mycorrihzae and Cole Crops?

Hello Hugh -

Thanks for sending the images of root growth and your
thoughts.   I guess they didn't make it on the BD-Now
archives, so I've copied your "text" below.

I'm fascinated by the simple observation method that you present.

Roots and rhizosheres and associated microorganisms are topics
that I've spent years looking into and thinking about.

I'm not sure if you suggest those rooting patterns are
VAM-derived hyphae radiating outwards, or maybe
you suggest that VAM-colonized roots are stimulated
to *proliferate*, in the zone that you describe.

Regardless, my ears are pricked up and will keep
thinking and learning.   I've got tremendous respect
for the BD farming experience you and others bring to
this group.

The following online book from Australia is superb.

Working with Mycorrhizas in Forestry and Agriculture
Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research  (ACIAR)/
CSIRO Forestry and Forest Products
http://www.ffp.csiro.au/research/mycorrhiza/

Especially see Section 3. on VAM, and the following
quote.

Section 3.  ARBUSCULAR MYCORRHIZAS
http://www.ffp.csiro.au/research/mycorrhiza/vam.html

"The network of hyphae in the soil is only connected to roots
by the entry points that initiate (VAM) mycorrhizal associations,
as hyphae do not grow out of living roots."

Also see Section 4. on Ectomycorrhizas.

Section 4.  ECTOMYCORRHIZAS
http://www.ffp.csiro.au/research/mycorrhiza/ecm/ecm.html

I'm still open to your observation-based method,
but wondering how it jives with the vasicular arbuscular
mycorrhizal knowledge base.

Interestingly, Walter Goldstein's research on BD
influence on rooting patterns might be relevant to
this discussion.

There are definitely differences in rooting patterns
based on organic matter, soil biology, and humic
substances.

With regards,

Steve Diver

Hugh Lovel wrote:
Dear Steve,

Occasionally I run into the information that one cannot see mycorrhizae on plant roots with the naked eye. More accurately you cannot see how dense VAM colonization is at the root tip as it occurs since it is an endophyte and it grows outward from the point of colonization. But look back from the growing tip to a few days' previous growth and you will have a very good idea of the density of colonization by what has grown out. Look at the picture included in this e-mail and you will see what I mean.

I'm sorry to say it is not the right time of year to take pictures of VAM colonization on my turnip, mustard and rape roots. Maybe in October if I am still in Blairsville, or maybe next April or May from Northern Queensland I'll have an opportunity to take such pictures. Anyway, take a gander at the current picture. You'll see no fuzz, of course, at the root tips. But go back an inch or so and it clots the soil on the roots with a dense fuzz. Every plant has these in the soils at Union Agricultural Institute. This picture was taken the next morning after a hard downpour the previous afternoon. Generally it is easier to take pictures of mycorrhizae given dry conditions.

VAM colonization of grass roots at Union Agricultural Institute, Blairsville, Georgia

VAM on Klass Marten Farm, upstate New York

Sorry that these pictures won't post to BDNow!, but see what you think anyway. Someday I'll get you pictures of mycorrhizae on Cole crops. Rape, mustard or turnip would be easy at the right time of year here at UAI, but I don't have those conditions at the moment.

Best,
Hugh