Re: [permaculture] draft of Mother Earth News petition]

Doreen Howard wrote:

Hi Larry,
Petition looks good to me. I no longer have an association with MEN, although they continue to use my name as a Contributing Editor on their masthead. They pay poorly, and we had a major disagreement about an article I wrote on cherries for them. They wanted me to change it to reflect varieties only and fluff. I kept telling them that rootstock is the key to cherry production--getting the correct rootstock for your climate, etc. and that rootstock is equally important with all fruit trees. They wouldn't allow me to write about the rootstocks, so I pulled the article and refused to write any more articles. I won't put my name on garbage.

That's pretty bad but at least MEN from ages ago was cutting edge and helped a lot people immensely,
and I am sure you did also when you wrote for them.

All this said, I still can tell you who to contact and how to submit your petition.

Send it to Cheryl Long, executive editor via email and via snail mail. She should respond if no other way but to use the petition as a letter to the editor. I really don't know if they will act upon it. clong@motherearthnews.com

I have forwarded this to John. I will follow up with him.

I've been writing extensively for The American Garden (American Horticultural Society) and they give me great leeway. In fact, I won a Garden Writers (GWA) Silver Trowel Award for 2006 for my article on mycorrhizal fungi that appeared in the magazine.

Fantastic! I guess you know about Soil Foodweb and Elaine Ingham and her newsletter.
Here are a few links:
http://mycorrhiza.ag.utk.edu/default.html
http://www.fungi.com/books/stamets.html
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/