Re: [SANET-MG] BBC NEWS | UK | England | Tyne/Wear | Researchers hail organic potatoes

Douglas Hinds wrote:

Toward biocontrol of Phytophthora using the beneficial fungus
Pisolithus Tinctorius, which produces substances with antibiotic
activity contra Phytophthora, according to sources I found in
Medline (if I recall - I was using Uncover, I believe), a
biomedical database, in 1998. (I don't have the details on this
computer).

Sal then asked:
where do you buy your beneficial fungus and any other life forms
your raising when you make the tea

Pisolithus Tintorius can be obtained from: Plant Health Care, Inc.,
Pittsburgh, PA <www.planthealthcare.com/> (They sell: MycorTree PT
Spore Spray)

There may be other sources available.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/jun2003.html
  Pisolithus tinctorius is a mycorrhizal fungus, which means that it
  gets its nutrition in a mutualistic association with the roots of
  trees, mostly with conifers, but sometimes oaks. Remember that in a
  mycorrhizal association such as this, both partners benefit. This
  fungus is very useful in reclamation and reforestation of disturbed
  and poor soils, such as strip mines. It can survive low pH (high
  acidity), high concentrations of heavy metals, and high soil
  temperatures in the summer, along with the accompanying drought. It
  is also useful in the restrictive environment of nurseries. It seems
  to be a "super-mycorrhiza," and inoculum of "P.t." in the form of
  spores can be commercially purchased. So even in the "world's
  ugliest fungus" there is still some good.

what do you feed while brewing.

what all goes into the tea?

I haven't got that far yet.

When used with potatoes how is Pisolithus Tinctorius applied? to the seed potatoes before planting? segmented or whole? after planting? Is Pisolithus Tinctorius best applied 1)alone, i.e. according to manufacturer's directions? or 2)in compost tea? If 2) how/when is it added to the tea? What compost tea ingredients would be beneficial a)to Pisolithus Tinctorius and/or b)in combination with Pisolithus Tinctorius, to plants the tea is applied to. What compost tea ingredients would be harmful to, or not beneficial to, Pisolithus Tinctorius?

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm