Re: [compost_tea] Re: CT the compost?

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 21:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com> wrote:>Shall we continue? OUR WORDS ARE MIXED TOGETHER, BELOW

Thanks, Bob. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me
figure all this stuff out.

>irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com> wrote and Bob also wrote:

>Irene why would you stop at twice a year?

I think that was what I was told when I bought the brewer. Since I am
still waiting for Dr. Elaine's Compost Tea Manual, I'm just fumbling
around in the dark, trying to piece together the notes I read on this
list. I realize that many contributors are working on much larger
scales, and I certainly don't want to monopolize the microphone with
my newbie questions.

>If you are brewing your own TEA is so cheap and easy why not a schedule like -
>
>In early spring before planting to awaken microbic action in the
>soil. Soil drench
>
>Seed bed preparation TEA again. Soil drench
>
>The plants are up and inch or more. Combined foliar and drench
>
>Plants are doing well, Some are in harvest. Foliar.
>
>to avert mold or aphids and such and to augment growth.
>
>Late in the season, to avert disease, mold. Foliar.
>
>After the last harvest to convert trash to nutrients as the microbes
>reduce and consume the trash, convewrt it to soil. Maybe I'm
>exceeding the practical with this list. We suggest this many
>applications for customers to keep their lawn and flower gardens in
>top shape.

Thanks so much for the time table. I am willing to spray every day
(well, almost), if that would be a good idea. I'm really glad to have
your timetable to go by. Now I'm still trying to figure out where
compost (not in TEA, but in the big compost bins) fits into the
picture.

>Seems like too much> On lawns it eliminates thatching that would
>cost more by itself than all the TEA applications. It eliminates
>aeration of the lawn - that would cost more than all the TEA
>appkications. It eliminates fertilizers - That would cost more than
>two of the TEA applications. It reduces or eliminates almost all
>irrigation that would cost as much a 3 TEA applications.

We have no lawn, but it sounds like a great treatment for the pastures.

>Since you are doing this for yourself your cost is lower. Just be
>careful so the IRS doesn't discover how profitable your garden is.

Yeah, right. I think the organic eggs we get from our hens end up
costing ten dollars each! Great eggs, though. Since we're not a
commercial business, just committed to keeping ourselves, our
animals, and our soil happy and healthy, the cost isn't the primary
consideration. That said, I sure don't want to buy more soil
amendments than I need!

>HERE COMES THAT BRIDGE AGAIN. BOB

Thanks again, Bob.

irene
irene_at_trilliumwoods.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] [input] What's new?