Re: [compost_tea] Re: CT the compost

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 22:32:20 -0700 (PDT)

You ask the best questons, Irene. I wonder how this is playing on the list??

irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com> wrote:
>Shall we continue? OUR thoughts are mixed up below

>Irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com> wrote and Bob also wrote:

>Irene why would you stop at twice a year?

I think that was what I was told when I bought the brewer. Since I am
still waiting for Dr. Elaine's Compost Tea Manual, I'm just fumbling
around in the dark, trying to piece together the notes I read on this
list. I realize that many contributors are working on much larger
scales, and I certainly don't want to monopolize the microphone with
my newbie questions. Irene- realize we are all new in this very new rapidly changing "science". I think only recently a few scientists have bothered to look at to undersrtand soil. Now we are finding it more complex and more important than space. At least that is my feeling of this subject. I have met no one in this field especially the scientists, that thought they knew all the answers.

(thanks bob for)
your timetable to go by. OOPS, Irene that was not a time table. That was a suggested opportunity to use TEA. You may not need all those applications. But again you may need other applications. special applications to manage plant needs, insects or mold. If I was familiar with grapes i would have had a different time table. For instance for rutabagas use high bacterial TEA and enjoy a great taste of a vegetable most people hate. (Grin)

Now I'm still trying to figure out where
compost (not in TEA, but in the big compost bins) fits into the picture.

It's out there Irene, in your pasture, chickenhouse, kitchen and maybe your grocery store trimmings.

The bedding and droppings from yout egg producers, from your pasture, cut some of the grass and add it to the chicken waste. find worms or buy some. Thermal compost is good but worm compost is easier to produce in small amounts. But copost from a source that makes and proves by testing to have good compost. Mix some of theirs with yours. When you make TEA add some tea to your growing pile. No dpn't learn how in these few lines. There are good instructions written by experts that will help you get excellent compost from your own farm. SFI will test it to assure you that it is good.

How big a farm? what brewer? You claim to be a newbie but you are already way ahead of thousands who will follow your lead. Be proud that YOU ARE A PIONEER IN THIS RAPIDLY GROWING ART/ SCIENCE/ SPORT??

>Seems like too much> On lawns it eliminates thatching that would
>cost more by itself than all the TEA applications. It eliminates
>aeration of the lawn - that would cost more than all the TEA
>appkications. It eliminates fertilizers - That would cost more than
>two of the TEA applications. It reduces or eliminates almost all
>irrigation that would cost as much a 3 TEA applications.
We have no lawn, but it sounds like a great treatment for the pastures.

>Since you are doing this for yourself your cost is lower. Just be
>careful so the IRS doesn't discover how profitable your garden is.

Yeah, right. I think the organic eggs we get from our hens end up
costing ten dollars each! Great eggs, though. Since we're not a
commercial business, just committed to keeping ourselves, our
animals, and our soil happy and healthy, the cost isn't the primary
consideration. That said, I sure don't want to buy more soil amendments than I need!

COMPOST IF YOU BUY IT WILL COST ABOUT $ 1.00 A POUND. A 30 gallon bew will need 3 lbs. Kelp about $5 per brew, Molasses for grass or garden, $ 2.00 maybe other stuff for another $ 5. Your cost $15.00 for 30 gallons. 30 gallons with water added to extend the cover will apply a fairly effective treatment to 3 acres. Your eggs will cost less becasue the value of the waste is now in the TEA. You will be so entransed by this new exciting hobby you will never miss the dinners out, the cruise, the theater. Your health will avoid all those medical problems so prosperity is just around the corner.

>HERE COMES THAT BRIDGE IRENE. BOB

Thanks again, Bob.

irene
irene_at_trilliumwoods.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] [input] What's new?