Re: [compost_tea] Re: NOP and CT

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 05:12:03 EDT

There is no documentation that the statement about compost tea being just
like a raw manure was ever put into the NOP. Just because some USDA employee
decides that they dont like CT does not make this view point valid.

That's what needs to be combatted. Someone's personal view cannot be
accepted as a rule. Whenever it is encountered, this must be challenged.

thank you for sending the letter from the USDA, but we needed to get this
information back in March, when you got the letter. We need to send a
challenge statement back to the person who wrote the letter to you. A
conversation in an NOP meeting does not make something legally binding.
There was NO decision made. The USDA cannot dictate to the NOP what is or is
not going to be accdepted as organic.

We need more proof than a poorly performed study to set US policy.

Kirk Waterstipe presented his study today at the Biocycle meeting about our
work these last 6 months with E. coli. Keep the tea aerobic, lots of good
organisms, and there is no E.coli or other pathogens. All tea brewers do
this? No. Just the ones that stay aerobic. If there's E. coli in the brew,
the machine isn't keeping things aerobic.

That's the information that needs to go to the NOP. Real scence, done
correctly, fully replicated.

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic