Re: [compost_tea] Compost Tea for Potatoes

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 21:13:00 EDT

You are right that it is spendy to test each batch. But test your first
batch, at least, and see if you have the tea making thing down. If you don't
, at least we help you figure it out! Bruce Elliott is outstanding at his
customer service and is dogged in making sure each person succeeds. Bruce
would never leave a customer in the lurch.

Usually, if the first test wasn't really good, a second test just to make
sure things are going well, and you're off and running. Sometimes, something
is really out-of-whack though, and we (ah, well, Bruce, really) work hard to
figure out the problem. Sometimes the water (really alkaline or acid water
is a serious problem), sometimes too much food in the brewer (it helps to be
able to READ the markings on the measuring cup), too cold water, poor
compost, etc.

Let's see, potato recipe. Usually, you are lacking fungi in the soil to an
extreme degree, so you need a fungal recipe. Not likely to get fungal
dominated, but getting fungi above 20 ug per ml is the goal. So, a tiny bit
of molasses, some of Jeff Lowenfels' protein meal mix or Paul's flour mix
(they are about the same, I think), kelp, and really good fungal compost.

OK?

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic