[compost_tea] RE: compost tea defined

From: George and Paulette Mouchet <geomouchet_at_QNET.COM>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 19:50:09 -0700

Dear Dr. E:

I didn't have a definition of aerobic CT in mind when I joined this list.
 Being relatively new to aerobic CT, I believe I bring a different
perspective to the table. I think your definition works great for people
who already have some idea what you are talking about. I'm not sure it's
the best possible definition when dealing with people who have no
experience with what we on this list are doing.

I've asked several nonlist people if they have experience with "aerated
compost tea." They either don't hear the word aerated or don't have a clue
what it means. What they hear is "compost tea" and to them it means
soaking compost in a bucket for a couple weeks and maybe stirring it every
so often.

For many years, folks have been making compost tea via the bucket method.
 These people call their product compost tea.

My dictionary defines "brew" as to make or prepare a beverage, as tea, by
mixing, steeping, soaking, or boiling a solid in water. By this definit
ion, the compost-in-the-bucket method IS brewed compost tea. However,
clearly this product would not meet your standards for a product that
contains optimum beneficial organisms.

I think it's important that we recognize many people define "compost tea"
quite differently from us. (Perhaps this is part of the problem with
getting organic certifiers to approve CT?)

I've tried using the words "aerobic compost tea" and it doesn't work. I'm
going to start using the words "actively aerated" and see what happens.
 Maybe a name change to "aerobic compost soup" or "actively aerated compost
soup" might more clearly and concisely explain what we are talking about.

Finally, it might be a good idea if we define the bucket method as
anaerobic CT to further differentiate the two products.

I look forward to hearing from other folks on the list.

Paulette