[compost_tea] Re: adding amendments to soil

From: irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 06:42:08 -0700

Dr. Elaine wrote:

>I didn't see that anyone answered your questions about if you add
>the kelp, rock phosphate or other soil amendments in the tea, do you
>still need to add them to the soil.
>
>Adding the amendments in the tea means you need less of that
>material than you would require in a soil application, because the
>microbes retain the nutrients much better when they are gorwn with
>the nutrients in the tea. When added to soil, nutrients will leach,
>and be lost from the rooting zone without the microorganisms to
>"grab" them and hold the min the soil.

Many thanks for your reply. I'll spend some time digesting it, as it
contains plenty of really good, basic information. As a newbie,
that's what I'm most in need of at the moment.

As I've always gardened organically, and because no one has lived on
this land before, we don't have chemical residues in the soil to deal
with. I'm delighted to know that the compost I make will/can balance
the nutrients removed via plant harvest, as my goal is to
reach/maintain a natural balance. And that CT will means less stuff
to buy to put into the soil!

Now I'll be sitting by the mailbox, awaiting the arrival of The Manual! : D

Again, many thanks,

irene, in the foothills of Mt. Rainier
irene_at_trilliumwoods.com

Rent DVDs from home.