[compost_tea] Re: NOP and CT

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:52:19 -0700

Tim -- I agree and appreciate your clarification. That's part of my anguish
on this. The only official mention of compost tea I've found anywhere is in
the web-posted NOP staff-edited "final report" of an NOSB task force which
actually contradicts the NOSB recommendation. That's one of the "unethical"
elements of what USDA is doing on CT. The absence of any other "rule" - I
did use the word incorrectly - means that what they say in their letters is
equivalent to law until somebody says otherwise. Technically, they could go
after certifiers and force them not to certify CT, or tie them up in legal
wrangles. The absence of a rule cuts both ways. That's why the new task
force Doc E is
participating in is so important. As Jeff says, we need a rule. -- Kirk

> Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 08:19:12 -0300
> From: "Tim Livingstone" <tlivingstone_at_jollyfarmer.com>
> Subject: NOP and CT

> Hi Kirk,

> You made mention of NOP rules. The letter mentioned is
> documenting "policy" based on recommendation, not legally binding
> rules or law.

> I am not aware of any rules made by NOP regarding compost tea -
> only recommendations. Only their rules are legally binding, not their
> recommendations. It can be hard to sort these out, but in this case
> there does not appear to be any legal ruling of any kind on compost
> tea. This leaves certifiers open to decide what they will.

> We've had to dig into this issue for our own organic certification.

> Hope this helps,
> Tim Livingstone

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.