Re: [compost_tea] Aerated compost

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jeff In all our studies of CT we learn and Elaine shows data that if we run a good TEA with good stuff but overload or for any reason the CT goes anaerobic the TEA will start to lose diversity. Perhaps the very strains you most need for the condition in your garden.. The more often and the longer the CT is anaerobic the less value it is expected to have. If Magicsoils test data is right: When we make compost in the way we have been making it. Turing it to give it air every few days or when we get to it or whe the temp at a measuring point reaches 155 deg F.we turn the pile. Mix it, cool it, give it air. The book says that is the way. Magicsoils test data said that in their test work they found the pile below 5.7 umg/ml O2 witin 15 minute of turning the pile. Or if being fed O2 at a suitable level it dropped within 15 minutes to about 2umg/ml. Far into anaerobic conditions. Is Magic wrong with all their testing? Data useless? I think we have something to le
 arn from them. My question Jeff, is if it damages the diversity when CT goed anaerobic, why is it less damaging to the compost to go anaerobic? Are we etting fair results just because the entire pile never goes anaerobic so it recovers some of what is lost? Whold we have much better compost if we had a way of keeping the pile aerobic al the way thru the cycle? I believe the cycle can be shorter too. What happens to the value of the compost after it reached the best possible condition with aerobic care and then sits in a non oxygenated state for some weeks or months? As is suggested in our present system. I listened carefully to Elaine on May 10. Then at another part of her wonderful presentation she said get the data. I think we need data comparing the air system with the turned system. We looked carefully at a static air system that was going to cost $20,000,000 to set up but had date that said it would pay that back in 3 to 5 years. It used air a little
  differently than magic and different than my system would. While I could market a system to do what magic is doing on a home or small commercial scale I think I need more data before I offer the systems to customers. Anyone want to joint the testing and the study? I think this is worth doing. The difference, Jeff may be the same difference as between CT that was run aerated all the way and anaerobic CT that was aerated after the O2 need dropped the TEA back to an aerobic conditon. We don't know all there is to know about that yet either. Why did the bag of poop in a bucket satisfy many people for so long? BecauseThey didn't know they could have it a helluva lot better !! Bob of Bob's Brewers & Aerated Compost Systems for home and small business.

Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com> wrote:Good compost vs aerated compost? What is the difference as long as the end product is compost--ie clean smelling, full of humics, beneficial bacteria, fungi,nematodes andn protozoa. The difference is in "almost compost" and what you put into your compost mix. Cheers, Jeff
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] -------- Make -AcuraAM GeneralAston MartinAudiBentleyBMWBuickCadillacChevroletChevrolet TruckChryslerDaewooDodgeDodge TruckFerrariFordFord TruckGMCGMC TruckHondaHyundaiInfinitiIsuzuJaguarJeepKiaLamborghiniLand RoverLexusLincolnLotusMazdaMazda TruckMercedes-BenzMercuryMitsubishiNissanNissan TruckOldsmobilePlymouthPontiacPorscheRolls-RoyceSaabSaturnSubaruSuzukiToyotaToyota TruckVolkswagenVolvo- Model -- Please Select a Make -Zip: [input] [input]