RE: [compost_tea] arthropods

From: Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_jmtsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:18:38 -0700

Threw about 10 cloves of garlic, and a half dozen habanaro peppers with
about a cup of water into a blender. Blended them until they were liquid.
Strained the slurry through cheesecloth and mixed it (about 1:3) some water
(for spraying my trees, I used strained bucket-made compost tea instead).

I think it worked pretty well to keep the bugs off the plants in the early
stages. I side dressed lettuce and other raw eaten leaves, rather than
directly applied and I didn't' have problems with garlic smell/taste later.

But for the ants, I just poured it into their den holes. Maybe a sprayer
would work best for fire ants?? Let me know if you try it and how it works
(or doesn't).