Re: [compost_tea] Re: Pumps and Aerob-a-jet

From: Jason Austin <jason.austin_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 08:53:19 -0700

Hi kv

Thanks for the comments. So far there has been little heat but I'll
keep an eye on that. Gast recommends upsizing the pipe by one size
after it leaves the pump, so as the diameter of the outlet is 1 1/4", I
used 1 1/2" pipe from the pump and in the brewer.

So far the pump is not noisy as such, but it does have a high pitched
mosquito sound that carries. I have asked Wainbee about that but have
not heard from them yet.

If the pump craps out I'll let the list know <grin>

Until Fedex eventually turn up with the DO meter I can't report how
effective the pump is in raising the DO levels, other than it sure looks
impressive. I'll get back on that.

What is a linear pump?

Jason

kv2235 wrote:

> Hi Jason, I'm very familiar with the Gast products, and I trust you
> used the worksheets to size the blower. The problem with the
> Regenair's are that if the backpressure exceeds the allowable limit,
> you'll create alot of heat and wear the blower (REad seize it tight).
> Backpressure caused by bends in the pipe, depth of tank, size if
> holes in the sparger tubes, etc. They also generate too much heat for
> my liking. It's hard enough to keep the brew temp under 80.I'm still a
> believer of linear air pumps, as archaic as that might sound. They use
> less power, have a longer life span, and are quieter by far. Just my
> opinion of course.
> --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Jason Austin <jason.austin_at_s...>
> wrote:
> > I bought a Gast model R3105, 1/2 hp for my 400 gallon brewer. It
> boils
> > like crazy, but as several messages have said that 1/2 hp is not
> enough
> > I was waiting for my DO meter to arrive so I could quote numbers.
> > However as Fedex have had the DO meter in their possession for 12
> days
> > now, and still not delivered it(!) ......
> >
> > My cost was Canadian $599 from Wainbee who are the Gast distributor
> in
> > Canada - so approx $US400?
> >
> > The Gast model R3105 specs are:
> >
> > 1/2 hp
> > MAX. PRESSURE - 43" H20 (60 Hz), 31" H20 (50 Hz)
> > MAX. AIR FLOW - 53 CFM (60 Hz), 44 CFM (50 Hz)
> >
> > Yes, that is 44 CFM.
> >
> > The R stands for Regenerative Blower.
> >
> > I dealt with Troy at Wainbee (Vancouver) tjohnson_at_w...
> >
> > The Gast site with the details of these regenerative blowers is
> > http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/newblower/F2-10%20-R4M.pdf
> >
> > Laura, I can't explain properly but I believe you want an air
> blower,
> > not an air compressor. If you contact Troy he could help, or
> forward
> > you on to someone at Wainbee who is closer to you.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Jason
> > (On Vancouver Island)

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.