Re: [compost_tea] Here is a neat sprayer

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 22:44:25 -0700 (PDT)

Good way to go Jeff. No big kick back either to fight with all day. Bob
Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com> wrote:Wow, I think I finally solved my spraying problems and so pass this on to you all! Hope it helps!

Last year I sprayed a good part of my lawn with tea almost every week. I used a battery powered back pack sprayer that didn't seem to clog every minute,only every five....My Doctor tells me I developed the first known case of Compost Tea Elbow and that if he were a bit more of a learned man, he would have sent in an article to the New England Journal of Medicine where these new conditions are often announced.....

Anyhow, I have to spray my lawn because I am doing CT tests. I needed a better way. I found a 30 dollar "driveway water sweeper" made by Rubbermaid at a local hardware store. It has two wheels on either end of a 30-inch long, 1" diameter, PVC pipe with five brass spray nozzles. This is connected to a long, 1" diameter, PVC handle that allows one to sweep a driveway with a water spray.......
http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=868&pcount=15&Product_Id=71064&Keyword=Y
will bring up a pic if you need it.

I attached this to a hose attached to a Little Giant sump pump submersed in a 60 gallon tank of Bob-0-lator made tea. (I put window screening around the bottom of the pump to prevent anything from getting up into it).

The wheels are not worth a damn on a lawn and need adjusting to go only in one direction or need to be removed.

However, the item is light and you can easily pick it up and spray. The tea went out smooth as can be---not one single bit of Alaska Humus was left in the Bob-O-Lator so it was all in the tea! Still I did not experience one single clog and there are five spray nozzles and I did 60 gallons!

I put an on/off value which allowed me to slow down the flow otherwise the thing would have sprayed out the entire 60 gallons in ten minutes! I also put a quick connect on the end so I wouldn't have to fiddle with screwing on the hose every time I use it. In addition to the test plot of lawn, I sprayed gardens and starts. Fantastic. The coverage is quick, complete and about three feed wide.

For 30 bucks, this is the way to go if you make and apply large amounts of tea from a large tank. Of course, the pump costs about 50..... Still, NO CLOGS. NO TEA ELBOW!

Cheers,

Jeff

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor