Re: [compost_tea] seaweeds

From: Jason Austin <jason.austin_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:11:18 -0700

Not perhaps what Jeff had in mind with his question, but I have been
making an alfalfa/kelp tea to help my switch to organic farming this year.

Alfalfa ".. tea is a soluable, fast-acting nitrogen source. In addition
to nitrogen, alfalfa supplies enzymes and trace elements that are not
present in chemical nitrogen fertilizers"
 http://www.nurserysite.com/clubs/peninsular/tea.html#Anchor-Alfalfa-4328

"Kelp Meal (1-0.1-2) is one of the best sources of trace minerals. Kelp
Meal has over 70 minerals, plant growth regulators, vitamins, hormones
and enzymes. As a soil additive, it stimulates microbial activity and
provides a strong supply of naturally chelated nutrients. "
 http://www.territorial-seed.com/links/techsheets/tech_fertilizer.html

In 400 gallons I been experimenting with 20lbs alfalfa meal and 10-15lbs
kelp meal straight in the tank Nothing else. I start with cold water
then turn on the water heater and air blower. After about 20 hours it
begins foaming heavily - I mean heavily - foam everywhere!

I use this as a foliar spray; as a soil drench; and for transplanting
anything from bedding plants to trees. It is awesome, and if you
listen quietly you can hear the plants sigh with contentment.

Foliar sprays are said to show results within as little as 2 hours and I
can believe that. I have never seen plants respond so quickly as to a
spray or soaking of this alfalfa/kelp tea. And as for transplant shock
- there is no shock.

I spray under pressure, so by drilling bigger holes in my spray nozzles
I have no problem with the little bits of alfalfa, so I don't filter the
brew. If you don't use a pressure sprayer then filtering may be
neccessary.

It is still early days and I have not had this brew tested, but there is
no question it works wonders for me and my small farm. It is a
natural complement to CT (some may say it is CT), and is a good use of
the brewing equipment in between regular CT batches.

Jason