Re: [compost_tea] worms

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:44:30 EDT

Earthworms in the Great plains were killed during hte ice age, and have not
come back except where people have brought them in - as in fishing. This does
not apply to areas of the US where glaciers did not extend.

There are earthworms in the Canadiam Forests, so this does not apply to
forests either, apparently. There are people at Univ. of Saskatoon, and Calgary
that work on these questions, so I am just repeating what they have told me
here.

In the PNW, we have native earthworms that live deep in the soil most of the
year, so most people don't know they are there. They never left, as far as I
know, even during ice ages. But Andy Moldenke, at Oregon State University
would be the better person to contact about all this. I am not an expert on
earthworm history. But I think it is clear that we have native earthworms in the
US.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic