[compost_tea] Compost Tea for Roses or Boxwood?

From: chriscreid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:43:09 -0000

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is using compost tea
for large rose gardens or boxwood hedges.

I am a solo practitioner - do hand pruning and landscape maintenance
on a fairly small scale - and just ordered a tea brewer and Elaine's
manual. I 've been receiving Elaine's newsletter for a year or
more, and finally found a brewer at a price I can afford.

I often see boxwood that is stressed and has foliar diseases, partly
because it is sheared and never thinned and the inside of the plant
becomes humid, fostering fungal diseases. Then the leaves fall off
inside the plant -- it's not pretty. However, pruning boxwood is
also stressful to the plant. I am thinking that compost tea may be
of help in bringing these plants around, both soilwise and for
foliar application.

For roses, I am talking to a potential new customer who has a lot of
roses and wants them cared for organically. Many of them are hybrid
teas (don't know the cultivars) and before I yank them all, I'd like
to see how they do with balanced soil and tea for disease
suppression on the leaves.

I'd sure like to hear comments from anyone who is using the teas on
either of these plants. Comments, anyone?

Chris Reid

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM