[compost_tea] Re: NOP/Congress & Congrats to Bob

From: Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 08:52:50 -0700

I like the concept but have doubts about a politician being very
effective.

I'd like to know more.

Paulette

The Organic Farming Research Foundation <ofrf.org>, has done many basic
things for organic growers. When Congress passed the Appropriations
Bill with a rider that lowered the feeding standard for certified
organic animals (the work of a Georgia representative in favor of a
large chicken corporation), OFRF sent their Executive Secretary to
Washington to lobby Congress. The result of this was that Congress
itself nullified this faulty legislation.

It is a good thing that this congressional organic caucus has been
formed. When the balance shifted briefly in Congress when a Republican
became an Independent, several Sustainability bills, the Conservation
Security Program (CSP) and an upgrade of the Environmental Quality
Incentive Program (EQIP), were passed. CSP gave entitlement money for
working farmers who were already sustainable (as opposed to subsidizing
large feedlot operations to clean up their E. coli filled anaerobic
manure piles which they would not do on their own). When the
congressional balance changed back again, CSP was not funded.

There is a lot that Congress can do to help us. The greatest danger I
have seen over the years, first with the solar industry and then with
agricultural industry, is that the innovators get bought out by large
corporations who then quash the good work that was done or change it to
fit their needs. This is not just the result of federal meddling, but
of the innovators selling out when they get an offer they can't refuse
or they die. Money, money, money. It almost can't be avoided because
innovators need to learn to be good businessmen themselves.

There is not enough grassroots innovation now in politics in this
country. As a country, we have lost sight of what's important. We are
being managed from the top down, not having our needs served. I hope
American citizens haven't been so dumbed down by low quality food and so
spoiled by the ease of technologies, that they don't care about
democracy anymore.

I'm so glad that we have the congressional organic caucus, the ICTC and
that Elaine is on the NOSB. They need her and we need her to be there.
We will be O.K. as long as we have someone like Elaine to help them
understand what compost tea really is and to help all interested new
people understand how to make compost and CT to a high standard. It's
exciting to be on the cutting edge with this list/serve and to learn.

Congratulations to Bob on his new website!

Best,

Merla

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM