RE: [compost_tea] Cabbage Maggots

From: Tom Jaszewski <tomj_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:20:55 -0700

Steinernema feltiae
Further information about this keyword
<http://www.agrobiologicals.com/more.html>
Also indexed as: Neoaplectana feltiae
Also see: Categories: Steinernema spp.
<http://www.agrobiologicals.com/glossary/G950.htm>
A nematode <http://www.agrobiologicals.com/glossary/G858.htm> that can be
used to control lepidopterous pests
<http://www.agrobiologicals.com/glossary/G874.htm> . A formulation of S.
feltiae, based on tomato <http://www.agrobiologicals.com/glossary/G975.htm>
seed encapsulated in alginate gel, has been developed for the control of
larva of the wax moth Galleria melonella
<http://www.agrobiologicals.com/glossary/G2492.htm> . Tests have also shown
that Steinernema feltiae strain 27 is effective in reducing numbers of
cabbage maggot larvae developing on the plant. Root injury to cabbage plants
in the field was also seriously reduced. Soil surface applications were more
effective than subsurface applications in preventing damage by natural or
augmented populations of cabbage maggot to roots. This may be because
cabbage maggot eggs are laid on the surface near the root, so surface
applications may place the nematodes closer to the hatching magots than a
subsurface application can.

Although treatments did not eradicate the maggot population, the amount of
deep feeding scars caused by the cabbage maggot (that may later lead to loss
of plants or a reduction in yield) was significantly reduced.

Tom Jaszewski
www.livesoil.com
702-595-7012