RE: [compost_tea] Deer Repellants and dormant or hort oils - do they mix with compost tea?

From: George and Paulette Mouchet <geomouchet_at_QNET.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:37:15 -0700

Dear Chris:

I grow roses. Blackspot is a real problem for a lot of people. It's
imperative that you practice excellent garden sanitation. During the
winter when you prune, remove all cuttings to the trash -- not the compost
pile. Strip and remove all remaining leaves to the trash. Rake up all
dropped rose leaves and take to the trash. Use a dormant oil. Lime sulfur
is good but may not be necessary. Try dormant oil first. This is the IPM
approach.

Lime sulfur is usually applied in the winter as a dormant spray. It will
burn and could kill a plant if used during a hot summer day. SunSpray
brand horticultural oil can be applied year-around.

Anything you use to kill BS will kill the AACT critters. This includes
lime sulfur, fixed copper, neem, and all horticultural oils. Horticultural
oils would probably have the least effect on your critters because they
work by smothering the pest. When you apply horticultural oil to the
leaves and stems, it will smother ALL the critters -- good and bad. If you
don't apply horticultural oil to the soil, and you shouldn't, it won't
bother the soil critters.

When you prune, be sure to open the centers of the plants. Good air
circulation can help prevent the spread of BS spores. Don't plant your
roses too close together, either.

During the growing season, you can strip infected leaves and take to the
trash. Be sure to wash hands and tools well to help prevent the spread
from one plant to another.

If you are going to apply AACT during the growing season when weather
conditions favor BS, do so in the a.m. so the rose bush has time to dry
off. The BS fungus needs 7 hours of free water in order to set up shop.

As for deer, have you tried the Spray Away Motion Activated Water
Repellent? It's a sprinkler device that is activated by motion. Supposed
to work pretty good. It screws onto your garden hose. Here is a Web site
that might be of help: http://www.mydeergarden.com/Newsletter/index.htm

Paulette