Re: [compost_tea] Re: Defining what is compost tea exactly - NOP dangers?

From: Gail Raby <graby_at_midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:40:16 -0500

~~~~~~~From Kirk Leonard 's post of 6/ll:
"All can be done on any scale, a true USDA agenda threat... AACT is the
greatest threat tochem-head agriculture, though." ....and.... "Does anyone
besides me suspect this whole USNOP thing on CT and manure is
actually intended to get "processed manure materials" set up ahead of manure
composts and compost tea as good organic stuff This all fits with USDA's
recent agri-industrial agenda, but I find it hard to accept they could
prevail with such stupidity."~~~~~~~~~~~

With regard to the latter statement, I had not thought about it before you
brought it up, but think this very well could be possible. Its more given
to mass production and keeps control within the powers-that-be structure.

Stupidity is not the cogent issue as I see it, control is; and the former
will always overide the latter until corporations move from agressively
competetive corner-the-market directives, & bottom-line money policies, &
the-ends-justify-the-means attitudes to philosophies that are more sensitive
to the needs and safety of our planet and the life within it. This an
ethics issue and will require a major paradigm shift.

I beleive it is the same with the any form of tea or CT The more
efficacious it is proven to be, the more it becomes a threat. When organic
produce was saught by only the few, little attention was given to it. The
demand has grown dramatically and is increasing every year as people
become moreaware of the health hazards of eating poisoned food. Perhaps
I seem cynical but it is my belief that the USDA (in concert with big Pharm
with its chemical strangle hold on agriculture and animal husbandry) has not
had as its agenda the formation of uniform standards. I suspect it is
 a move to commandeer and own the word organic as a first step of wresting
control from what was once an independant wholistic movement. It may then be
redefined until it becomes but a shadow of its former self.

At the very least least bureaucratic red tape and politics-as-usual are
a major monkey wrench to acheiving facile answers and easy problem solving
with regard to organic and CT/tea issues.

I have for some time now been contemplating the feasibility of recreating
and renaming the organic movement so as to bypass the government. Given
money and a good advertising plan, this could be possible; however,
given these many long needed innovations could be accomplished and
money has not been given. Perhaps this is just fantasy thinking.

The recent fine-tuning of defiinitions of CT is, I think, a major step
forward. Further fine-tuning you have just given is another step. If
nothing else, it is a valuable set of terms to use in educating and
explaining to the new folks entering this feild, to customers, and to the
general public just what CTs are and their different values and uses.

gail

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM