[compost_tea] Subject: RE: Purchase of a tea brewer - need more puddin' in the proof

From: Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:17:36 -0700

Mike and Tom, et al.,

We use a Shurflo, 12 volt model 2088 pump, Shurflo filter
fittings.....$137 from Backwoods Solar Electric Systems, 1395 Rolling
Thunder Ridge, Sandpoint, ID, 208 263-4290 8AM-5PM PST. It's powered by
the same marine battery that powers my trolling motor, same
connections. It'll pump about 5-6 gallons between charges easily. The
small pressure tank we use, I believe, is the Flo-Jet available for $45
from the same source. We use garden hose for the output side and clear
12"vinyl tubing for the pick-up with a screen over a wire cage at the
pick-up to filter out the solids. The secondard pump filter will
usually clog when you get to the bottom of the barrel, but is easily
cleaned. Your local CENEX should be able to supply a trigger-activated
spray nozzle, the same as they use for herbicides. We got ours from a
commercial supplier in Spokane just after the airport off Rt. 2 of a
very high quality with single orifices interchangeable for different
flow rates for about $100. You can add garden hose of any length and
operate off your compost tea drum from a central location. We use a
Chevy van with three drums to spray CT on our county roadside for our
weed project. So far nobody has taken a shot at us, but people stop us
to ask us what we are spraying.

We have a full solar system with 13 solar panels and almost 30 golf cart
batteries, depending on how many are on line,and a Trace 816 inverter.
Backwoods Solar Catalog is very informative. <www.backwoodssolar.com>
Steve Willey, the owner and his wife, Elizabeth, are our next door
neighbors. They and their employees will answer questions
conscienciously by phone or email (info_at_backwoodssolar.com).

We really like Bob Norsen's teamaker because we can do so many things
with it and the aeration is superb. An aquarium pump won't do it. The
taller head in the barrel severely degrades aquarium pump performance.
The Bitti configuration and aerator can handle our power supply
limitations just fine.

Herb and Merla Barberie
Herb's Herbs/Farmers Market at Sandpoint
Rapid Lightning IPM Weed Control Project

Message: 6