RE: [compost_tea] alfalfa hay/meal added to soil is critter food?

From: George and Paulette Mouchet <geomouchet_at_QNET.COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:12:05 -0700

Dear John:

Many thanks for this info.!

Paulette

-----Original Message-----
From: John Dunbar [SMTP:jdunbar_at_dunbarco.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 12:45 PM
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [compost_tea] alfalfa hay/meal added to soil is critter food?

I use it and like it alot, but my wife is afraid of it for the same
reason -- she is afraid it is contaminated with pesticides. But neither of
us has any hard info on this. Here's what Dr. Randall (here in Houston, TX
area) says in his book "Year Round Vegetables, Fruits and Flowers for Metro
Houston" about cotton seed meal:

"Cottonseed meal is one of the best sources of nitrogen unless you have the
ability to acquire and compost large amounts of animal manure. Cotton seed
meal is 3-7 per cent nitrogen, about 2 % phosporous, and 1-2 per cent
potash, and these nutrients are gradually available as the meal rots. It
lasts 3-4 months or more and is a mild acidifier, which is good in Houston.

"The only major complaint with cottonseed meal is that pesticides and
herbicides are used in cotton production, and they are worse in fiber crops
like cotton than those used in food crops. Cotton is, unfortunately, the
worst signle user of pesticides in Texas, and is a main polluter, so many
people prefer to boycott industries that damage the environment.

---> "However, the seed is from inside a hull so has less contact with
sprays, it is sold as animal feed so probably does not contain significant
heavy metals, and most likely, any residues would not be in high enough
percentages to affect soil life or what grows in it. Arsenic has been
banned from cotton fields since 1993.

"On the other hand, we wear a lot of cotton sprayed in the same fields, and
it is a local product. Most importantly, other nitrogen products such as
bat guano, fish and manure could also be contaminated because insects are
sprayed, seas are polluted, and food animals are sprayed. Thus, there are
few if any "purely organic" commercial fertilizers. Organic cotton is
developing rapidly in Texas, so organic cottonseed meal should be available
in a few years. So if you can, buy organic.

"You can use 2 to 10 pounds cottonseed meal per 100 sq. ft. every 3 - 4
months. There are about 3.5 measuring cups per pound, 175 cups per 50 #
sack. 2 Tbs. per square foot is usually enough."

Here in Houston area you can buy 50 pound sacks for $8 or $9. What's
disheartening is to see the bi-planes dive-bombing over the cotton fields
here in Texas giving them a little spray of something. What a waste of fuel
and use of pesticides. They dive-bomb because they fly over telephone
lines, other people's property, other crops. They come in low to drop their
load. I'll bet they get down to 8 to 15 feet off the ground, so that their
gaseous discharge doesn't drift too far off mark. Then they zoom up at the
end of each row several hundred feet high into the sky and then fly back and
dive bomb again onto a low run. At one time they used people to mark where
the plane would spray next. I don't think that is done any more. I'm sure
someone like the EPA banned this stupid idea.

Texas is the leading producer of cotton. However, you'll see farms along the
road that grow crops along with cotton, such as sorghum, corn, rice... in
our area. Texas is the largest grower of cotton in the U.S. and it is the
largest agricultural field crop by dollar value (not counting animal
related) in the state totalling $1 to $1.6 billion of cotton sales, being 3
times that of corn and hay and 4 times that of wheat, sorghum, and peanuts.

Here's a run down on organic cotton production in Texas by the Ausin
Business Journal: "With 6,872 acres planted in 2002, the Lone Star State is
by far the top state for production of organic cotton, according to a new
survey. New Mexico was next with 589 acres, followed by California, 584;
Arizona, 578; and Missouri, 421, according to the survey, conducted by the
Organic Trade Association and financed by a grant from Cotton Inc. "

While the newspaper points out that organic cotton is about 7,000 acres,
total cotton production in Texas is on 5,000,000 acres.

Texas A&M ( http://soilcrop.tamu.edu/publications/pubs/cottonweed.pdf ) out
that (hold on to your hat):
Five organophosphates (OP) make up 66% of all insecticide use and carbamates
consist of 11% of the insecticides in Texas cotton.

Major insecticides include methyl parathion (OP), malathion (OP),
azinphos-methyl, (Guthion-OP), profenofos (Curacron-OP), aldicarb
(Temik-carbamate), dicrotophos (Bidrin-OP), oxamyl (Vydate-carbamate). Other
insecticides include acephate (Orthene-OP), phorate (Thimet-OP), and
carbofuran (Furadan-carbamate). All planting seeds are treated with a
fungicide to reduce seedling diseases.

Trifluralin (Treflan) is applied to 48% or more of the crop.

Plant Growth Regulators (PGR) modify plant growth to improve production
efficiency.

Ethephon (Prep and others) and mepiquat chloride (Pix) are applied on ?? %
of the total acreage.

57% of the crop is treated with a harvest-aid chemical for earlier harvest
and to reduce late season insects.

Defoliants tribufos (DEF/Folex - an OP) and thidiazuron (Dropp or Ginstar)
are applied on 51% of the acreage in 24% of applications.

12% of Texas cotton acreage is planted with Bt cotton. Bt cotton is
genetically altered to naturally control the bollworm as the insect feeds on
the plant.

Genetically-enhanced seed, such as Roundup Ready and Bt traits help reduce
the number and volume of pesticides in cotton.

For latest information regarding these issues and status of risk assessments
contact j-anciso_at_tamu.edu or visit http://ipmwww.ncsu.edu/opmppiap and
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides

Here's two Texas organic cotton sites, you may want to send them emails with
this question:

http://www.organicessentials.com
"The cotton used to make our products is grown without the use of synthetic
fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, pesticides and defoliants." "A crop
that is grown on about 2.2% of the world's currently cultivated land and
used more than 10% of the world's pesticides, including almost 25% of the
insecticides - about 35 different chemicals! Beware of cotton products that
claim to be "green" or "natural", they are still using cotton grown with
chemicals! If it is organic, it will say "Certified Organic"

http://www.texasorganic.com/
This is a consortium of organic cotton growers.

Hope this helps.

John Dunbar