[compost_tea] Parameters for a Home Made Brewer

From: Marc Kline <marc_wk2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:01:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All -

I'm relatively new to CT, but have read quite a bit of
literature (including a number of posts in the
archives of this forum) concerning it since a certain
article sparked my interest.

I've built a brewer based on the seemingly well known
Taunton article's instruction and have made multiple
batches with a certain degree of confidence that has
recently been fading. As I've done further research,
I realize the limitations of this method.

Can you guys give some advice to someone hoping to
create his own cheap yet effective tea brewer. For
instance, I know a certain level of dissolved oxygen
needs to be maintained in the brew in order to produce
a quality tea, so what sort of hardware would come
highly recommended to maintain such a level for the 5
gallon bucket sized batches I'd like to brew using
relatively inexpensive parts? Would a 1/3 HP
compressor be too much agitation for a 5 gallon batch?
 Would aquarium pumps with airstones provide
sufficient oxygen?

Also, this fan stirring mechanism that seems to be in
the picture displayed on the Yahoo Groups homepage...
is this effective as well? Would it help distribute
gas that is being pumped into the water from the
bottom of the bucket??

Specifically, I'm curious about how much is *too much*
of something such as aeration or agitation. Any
design suggestions from anyone not marketing their
ideas?

Thank you.

Marc Kline

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges & refill kits at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5702
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YrYXfA/AyWGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM