[compost_tea] Re: Molasses Danger Zone, NOP, Microbrewers

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:27:33 -0700

Russell, Judi et al -- I need to correct myself again (...ya, more ways
than one, I'm sure...) On molasses levels: Durn brain moved a decimal
point... point 1 to point 5 percent - .1%-.5% molasses - should be ok
according to Kirk W and Doc E (2003). Problem is at 1%, no point. Full 5%
ok.

But Doc, I have to wonder about 1.7%, 2-3-4%? There appears to be some kind
of biological flipping point happening here. Where? What if the compost is
mostly bacterial? What was B/F of the composts tested? I'm not worried
about ecoli, actually, being comfortable that some exposure supports natural
resistance. B/F ratios seem more important.

And my suggesting the upper bound of bacterial life in Russell's tea seems
absurd... more likely there was some osmotic effect on the bacteria, but at
.17% molasses? To my knowledge, CT has yet to come close to the upper bound
of bacterial life. I could be wrong about that. Different measures and
orders of magnitude differences confuse me. It is fascinating to see live
bacteria below live fungi, though... is this the ultimate fungal tea?

> NOP whose side are they on? <
USDA serves the business of USAgribusiness, petrochemicals, etc. NOP is a
chance to get USA moving actually organic. And yes there's a corporate
state condition I would describe less graciously than Steve B... He and Tom
J are right. We gotta speak up. If your congressperson is a member of the
organic caucus (posted 7/4) and you haven't figured out how to connect and
tell them you support
compost tea... well, I'd be shaving again for a while..): Please do that if
you haven't.

If you have a a Rep or a friend whose US Cong Rep is a member, please tell
them about ACT and ICTC. Ask about the NOSB compost tea task force. USNOP
is not on our side yet, darnit. Chickens need more than porches, just like
people need windows, not just doors! Clean, open air and ground are good
and necessary, for both people and animals.

If anyone here has had any pushback from an organic certifier on compost
tea, that's grounds for taking USNOP to congress or legally to a court same
as
the MA chicken case certifier pushback (NOFA?). Could be last resort or
better,
faster way there... Please speak up. The duty of citizens is to keep their
mouths open.

> Microbrewers <
I don't have clearly in mind when Microbrewers became GSI machines, so I
hope I haven't confused the two. The new GSI machines are different and
seem better, all air, and I think they come with Hendrikus' improvements.
More I think about the WormGold machine, more I like it, too. Easy to truck
or trailer mount (maybe some simple structure added under?), easy to clean,
seems rugged, all air, maybe better air. Expensive but they're offering a
good down payment/rent-to-own deal and the price should be less as they do
more, it seems. The RO water thing is weird, but maybe other sorts of
filtering not so weird? And what do you actually get in a $110 WG Base Mix?
I trust that's more than 100 gals aerate. Anybody else into fiberglass
tanks? Less gadgets? I have nothing to do with any of these businesses,
btw. Not a Sunday ad.

I learned today my manure vermicompost products are ok by Oregon Tilth,
under USNOP. Hooray, but there is a way to go... CT should be endorsed
clearly by USNOP and all organic certifying authorities.

And I think I figured it out, Frank. I imagined HTH was Honey In The
Heart, early this AM. Hmm? I agree.

-- Kirk L

Control Hunger EZ with fast acting oral EZ Appetite Suppressant Spray
from VitaminBoost.com. 1 Month Supply - 2oz., 80 sprays: $19.97.
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2866&lp=ezappetite3.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aSJFwB/XWXGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM