[compost_tea] Re: standard testing procedures

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:42:22 -0000

---For instance I'm looking for standard testing methods to see
whether I've got 10 to 150 micrograms active bacteria per ml of tea.
and to see that the tea doesn't drop below 6 ppm DO. And to check it
later. And to check total bacterial biomass and active fungal biomass
etc. I want to identify ciliates, fungi etc using direct microscopic
methods whether high and dry or under oil immersion or by plating
total plate counts if applicable. I didn't say anything about one
single nutrient medium though. Thank you . Dennis

 In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff_at_g...> wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> Are you looking for tea making standards or testing standards?
>
> I am missing something here. There is lots on SFI's site about how
to read their tests.

<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I only looked for testing methods not
interpretation of the tests. I only looked at her tea stds. on pages
37 -40. To obtain those numbers there has to be some testing
procedures and I'm looking for those. AOAC has standardized many
analytical procedures and even analytical labs don't get the same
answer when given split samples. Hopefully they're close though.

Those are the standards for testing compost teas........plate counts
don't work because you have to have all the foods for all the
critters and that doesn't happen in petri dishes with one single
nutrient medium.

> There is no home test that anyone has discussed here or in the
literature. Dr. Elaine is working on one or two or 100 ideas, as are
lots of us who would love for a home test. Right now you can only
test your teas on your plants or with SFI, IMHO.

> That doesn't mean we all wouldn't love you to develop one, and a
cheap one at that! My strong advice, however, is to send in your
teas for a test to the SFI lab near you. This is particularly
important for those new to making aerated compost tea. In addition to
knowing what you are getting and learning how to fix it if it is not
the best tea is really best for your plants and, as important, best
for the aerated compost tea movement: we don't want bad teas out
there creating horror stories.

> Too manhy people on this list haven't tested. For your sake and
ours, don't be one of them! It is worth it to know what you are
making, especially the first few times. It isn't that expensive.

<><><><<><><><<>Which tests do you have run? Dennis

> Cheers and welcome,
>
> Jeff
>
> Old microbiology books probably won't help either. You need a new
one! :)

Maybe a really old one!!!! Dennis

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM