[compost_tea] Calcium addition

From: Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_jmtsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:22:22 -0700

Dr. Elaine,

I understand that you have been doing some tests with calcium and, was it
dandelions? Maybe it was just calcium in compost as you talked about in our
seminar.

But anyway, I want to do some testing on my own here with calcium and the
pesky dandelions that are plaguing one of my pastures – in the spring it
looks like a snowy field out there.

I’d like to section off a 50x50 area and inoculate it with compost (unless I
get myself a brewer soon) that had been supplemented with calcium. Would a
oyster shells do the trick for the calcium? If so, how much calcium in this
form would be needed for a given amount of compost? If some other form is
necessary, how much of that? Can calcium be overdone to the point of
killing my pasture grasses, and/or soil?

Hmmm, why do I feel the ‘have you had your soil tested’ lecture coming???
Grin ok, ok, I have the form filled out, just haven’t done the dirty work
of filling the bags and writing the check…. I will!! I will !! =)

Mike