Re: [compost_tea] Effects of chlorinated water

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:59:06 -0700 (PDT)

Yery useful uestion, Chad. I want the same information. Bob

Chad <ChadClancy_at_yahoo.com> wrote:I know the expert advice on water for CT suggests one should use
dechlorinated water. However, I am trying to get a handle on how
important it is to have chlorine-free water when (1) brewing CT and
(2) applying the CT to the plants and/or soil.

Does anyone have access to study results showing the "mortality rate"
of beneficial microbial life in the tea or soil vs. chlorine content
of the water used to brew or apply the CT? I'd expect it to be
highly variable due to specific conditions, but I'm just looking for
a ballpark figure. i.e., is it in the range of 0.1%, 5% 30%? If one
were to apply CT which was made and diluted with chlorine-free water
but then irrigated the crops with an inch of water chlorinated to a
level of 1-2ppm, what would the anticipated effect on the microbial
life?

If one knew approximately what a typical mortality rate was, could
one compensate for this by increasing the amount of compost used in a
batch of tea or increase the application rate of the CT to the crops?

I haven't seen any quantified answers to such questions so I thought
I'd ask the experts.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT